Small T's

forhorsmn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It seems like everyone is looking for the largest T they can get. I was wondering what the smallest full grown T species is, and where they can be found?
And if anyone has photos that would be nice.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I believe Cyclosternum sp. do not get very large, C. fasciatum only get like 4.5" or so, and can be obtained off of the boards for around 30.00 usd usually. Also C. fasciatum has some very nice coloration. As far as temperment i would describe the species as docile but skittish.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cyriocosmus elegans? I think they stay pretty darn small. Hatching out at a whopping 1/8". Tiny little buggers.

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had some Cyriocosmus leetzi slings that were barely the size of the date on a penny. As far as I know, the smallest spider would be one in the Cyriocosmus genus.

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
there is a dwarf species i think, not sure of the name
There is not just one species, there are many!

I believe that most spiders in the subfamily Ischnocolinae are dwarfs. There are also some in Selenocosmiinae, and Theraphosinae. If not more subfamilies.

Hopefully Eric or Martin M or WadeW will pop up in this thread. They, like me, are big fans of the dwarf species. They all just know alot more. ;)

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well with out going into dwarfs there is the carlsbad greens they are sort of on the smallish side, which i did not know till Sky brought me some... Such a sweetheart she is...and then Rio Grande Golds will breed at 3-3.5" females. And at least one other Texas native species that mature at around the 4 inch mark, however it may jsut be a case of inbreeding as they are an isolated colony of a few Ts in a small area. They could be just some hentzi that has stunted growth and odd appearance frm inbreeding. I am not up on genetics in arachnids enough to know for sure the effects but smaller sizes seem to be the general concensus..lol

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'll still just stick to any T that looks beautiful. Regardless of size.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i think c. elegans - males can be mature at 1 inch, females sometimnes do not even reach 1.5-2 inches! my females is about 1 inch now, and can easily be bred after another molt.

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Metrioplema species stay very small, around the 2" mark.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cyrtophylis portoricae aka Puerto Rican Pygmy.
They max ouy at about 4". Swifty has some.

I keep an H incei and that's a sweet spidey. Very aggro towards prey but skittish otherwise. They web a ton and are a very VERY pretty mettalic green.
I've seen different reports about their mature size. I thought they matured at about 4". Mine is less than 1 year and about 1-1/2"-2".