SMALL snack for Scorpion!

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Now heres some perspective for you. It is a couple pictures of Scorpion, my G. aureostriata, eating the butt of a cricket, inside his little vial! I thought it made for a neat picture.

Jon

Last edited:

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thats not a scorpion you dork, thats a tarantula.:?

J/K, I get it. LOL

Ernie

BTW, Do you have a scorpion named Tarantula?

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, most of my spiders are named after Mortal Kombat characters. Since one of the characters was named Scorpion, and he wore gold and black, and my chaco is gold and bl..brown, he got the name.

Jon

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Ill tell you; I love that pic, I think its adorable, the way hes on his tip-toes eating. Good pic. :) Oh, and I like his name. Its cool. :)

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Heh, Scorpion looks somewhat like an ant in the first shot, vaguely. Somebody needs to tell Scorpion what he really is. :)

Bry

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey B_D, the vile is TOO SMALL. Please have some mercy on the animal and give it a new bigger less "cozy" home.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Don't worry Lam, the enclosure grows as it gets older. Personally, I see nothing wrong with a small enclosure for a tiny sling. With an adult T in something of similar proportion I'd say yes, opt for a bigger enclosure. For the little ones though, I prefer smaller enclosures.

Botar

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Botar
Don't worry Lam, the enclosure grows as it gets older. Personally, I see nothing wrong with a small enclosure for a tiny sling. With an adult T in something of similar proportion I'd say yes, opt for a bigger enclosure. For the little ones though, I prefer smaller enclosures.

Botar
I aggree that the little ones are fine with smaller enclosers in proportion with their bodies. But that is just too small. The sling should be able to at least have a hiding spot and a place to come out whenever it wants to. It doesn't hurt you or me or anyone at all to give the sling a slightly bigger encloser. It means the world for the sling.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by lam
It means the world for the sling.
Now how would you know that? If they have enough substrate to burrow if desired, show no signs of stress, and are eating well I see no reason to go bigger. That they NEED a bigger enclosure is your opinion. It has been my experience that they do fine in small enclosures. I've never had one spell out "help me" in its webbing.

Botar

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lam, i agree with botar on this one...i think you have to look at the spiders real size because the picture makes him looks smaller than he probably really it.

Risto

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Lam, have you ever tried raising small itty bitty s'lings?

IME, they are less forgiving of human error than their adult counterparts. That means, IME, that they are less tollerant of moisture fluxuations. I've had too many s'lings die prematurely on me due to bad molts or "dehydration". Since I learned that it was ok to keep them in their vials until their leg span is about that of the vial, I just don't have the problems that I used to.

I already have a small custom terrarium waiting for it that is smaller than a critter keeper.

Jon

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Static_69
Lam, i agree with botar on this one...i think you have to look at the spiders real size because the picture makes him looks smaller than he probably really it.

Risto
Huh?

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Botar
Now how would you know that? If they have enough substrate to burrow if desired, show no signs of stress, and are eating well I see no reason to go bigger. That they NEED a bigger enclosure is your opinion. It has been my experience that they do fine in small enclosures. I've never had one spell out "help me" in its webbing.

Botar
None of us can read tarantula's mind. May be you can, but I can't.;) I did not say that they won't do fine in that small space. I'm just saying that they deserve at least a slightly bigger space than that. Take a look at that picture again. As far as burrowing goes, the law of conservation of mass prevents that sling from burrowing AND have a space above the burrow to come out whenever it wants too.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
Lam, have you ever tried raising small itty bitty s'lings?

IME, they are less forgiving of human error than their adult counterparts. That means, IME, that they are less tollerant of moisture fluxuations. I've had too many s'lings die prematurely on me due to bad molts or "dehydration". Since I learned that it was ok to keep them in their vials until their leg span is about that of the vial, I just don't have the problems that I used to.

I already have a small custom terrarium waiting for it that is smaller than a critter keeper.

Jon
Yes, I have and am raising about twenty some slings right now. I agree that they are less tolerant of moisture fluctuations than adults. I'm not saying to put them in castles. All I ask is that you put them in a space that is at least 3 times their overall body volume. It doesn't hurt anyone at all for them to get a slightly, and I'm saying SLIGHTLY, less small encloser.