Small, Slow Growing T's?

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine are a bit "pet hole'ish", but neat spiders.

sean-820

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ive found elegans to grow almost fast. Obviously they dont put on a ton of size each molt beign they only get like 1.5".

What adult size are you looking for? There are some cool dwarfs like cyriocosmus species or h incei, but both stay pretty small. I have an adult elegans in a small critter keeper like 6"x4" and it has a ton of room. I had it in a gallon tank but that was too large and it barly used any of it. My elegans slings are some of my favorite sligns as they may be tiny, but they can eat.

The good thing about t's is even large species dont need a ton of room so if you get somethins like a 5-10g for an adult you have a ton of options. If you want a smaller species or dawrf species an even smaller tank is fine.

sean-820

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
An elegans should be fine in that tank for a while possibly for life. If it turns female i would probably do a slight upgrade. The depth is good as they like to dig though this means you may not see it a ton. Not a t but trapdoor spiders are cool burrowers that dont need much room. The downside is you dont see them really except for a flash when they feed and they are farily venomous

RichRollin

Arachnopeon
Try a Cyrtopholis portoricae. These wont get much more than 3.5 inches at the most, and grow fairly slowly, at least the one I have does. Its went from 1/8 inch to 1 1/4 inch in the last year. You can get them cheap from swiftinverts.com.

snakecollector

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Euathlus vulpinus

We have had Euathlus vulpinus for 5 years and they are just now 2".
They get 4"+ but they are by far the slowest growing T we have owned.
They are also a nice looking T.

John

cityzooguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Holothele incei, stays small but is a cool spider. little bit more dificult husbandry.

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you want slow growth with no prospect of size, Aphonopelma dwarf species are good. They'll stay at an inch and take forever to get there. They are a bit drab and have a horrible, horrible attitude but their lifespan's probably long.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We have had Euathlus vulpinus for 5 years and they are just now 2".
They get 4"+ but they are by far the slowest growing T we have owned.
They are also a nice looking T.

John
i second this, they are beautiful and apparently grow even slower and stay smaller than the Euathlus sp. i own. i'd love to get an E. vulpinus myself, actually :D.

AprilH

Petridish
Old Timer
I think the C. fasciatum is a good choice. Mine have a lot of interesting webbing and are out all the time. They are also easy to find and don't cost much.

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Pseudhapalopus sp. "Blue" mine is over 2 yrs and about an inch!