Small, Slow Growing T's?

XzotticAnimal420

Arachnosquire
So, my boyfriend came to me today and said "I want a tarantula that I can keep in this small display cube for a few years, if not its whole life. I want one that grows really slow and that wont be entirely too huge when full grown."

What do you all suggest? The display cube is around 4X4X8.

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Cyriocosmus elegans.....

One slow growing species!!!!
They dont grow big as well 2" max!!!
Perfect for what your looking for!!!
I had mine in a micheals 2"x2"4"cube for about a year now and he has only grown fro 1/8 - 1"... talking about slow growth...

These will grow to between 6"-7" and are not as slow growing as many would believe. Perhaps one of the dwarf species.
i agree!!!

rbailey1010

Arachnopeon
P. scrofa

They are pretty and get to be 4 inches....considered a dwarf species as mentioned earlier

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Holothele incei stays small as well, I believe.
Indeed small but quite fast growers!!!! i had both the elegans and the incei at the same time.... the incei blew the elegans out of the water in growth speed....
My incei is full grown at 3.5" atm...

PS: love that avatar of yours!!!
Peace!!!

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
Get an Aphonopelma hentzi sling: very cheap, very hardy, adult size around 5", and I have 2 that grew from .75" - 1" in one year!

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cycolosternum fasciata

Gets between 4-5" very beautiful spider.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
These will grow to between 6"-7" and are not as slow growing as many would believe. Perhaps one of the dwarf species.
Crap, yeah size would be an issue with those if he wants to keep it in a cube it's whole life. I forgot to mention the dwarf species. :wall:

P. scrofa
C. elegans
H. incei
H. villosella
C. fasciatum (Not a dwarf, but rather small)

If you want something that will be really interesting, check out the funnel web tarantulas, Acanthogonatus francki and Acanthogonatus pissi. They stay small, and web A LOT. I wouldve had one by now, but I don't want to pay what my lps is asking. They are like a C. fasciatum that was dipped in gold paint. They look amazing and their webbing is awesome.

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The one sold in the hobby as Euathlus sp. "red", "yellow", "orange" "flame" etc. would be a good candidate. Same size or smaller than incei but very slow grower, one of mine is barely over 2" after 4+ years. If you get it as a sling you may have a long wait till it's big enough for your cube though. With small T's in general you also really want a female as a "pet", the males mature and are gone rather quickly.
See Euathlus in the Tarantula pictures genus index.

Bill

Hanes

Arachnosquire
The one sold in the hobby as Euathlus sp. "red", "yellow", "orange" "flame" etc. would be a good candidate. Same size or smaller than incei but very slow grower, one of mine is barely over 2" after 4+ years. If you get it as a sling you may have a long wait till it's big enough for your cube though. With small T's in general you also really want a female as a "pet", the males mature and are gone rather quickly.

Bill
+1 my euathlus sp. 'red' has grown from 1-1 1/2 cm in about 9 months

LisaD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My Euathlus "blue" have grown a bit faster over 10 months. I wouldn't recommend them - mine are still drab colored. They are also kind of nervous and skittish.

I kept a really cool fuzzy gray jumping spider I found in a small enclosure for about five months before releasing it (close to where I found it). It had tons of personality and a very cute face. :)

Looked something like these:

http://www.ski.org/Vision/Eyepage/jumpingspider.html

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer

Bill
I was going to write the same.
They need "deep" substrate for burrowing.

LisaD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry to hijack, but I wonder if I got the right genus - my Euathlus "blue" have never burrowed, even though they have plenty of substrate. They have grown faster than reported (about twice as fast as my B smithi sling) and have stayed on the drab side...

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sorry to hijack, but I wonder if I got the right genus - my Euathlus "blue" have never burrowed, even though they have plenty of substrate. They have grown faster than reported (about twice as fast as my B smithi sling) and have stayed on the drab side...
If you give them deep enough of peat or similar they should burrow. Same family doesnt mean that all the species have the growth rate. The Brachypelma vagans grows much faster than Brachypelma smithi

XzotticAnimal420

Arachnosquire
Thanks for all of the suggestions. After reviewing the pictures of each kind, he really likes the c. fasciatum as well as the euathlus, so we will probably begin our search for one of those. Ill keep checking back for further suggestions. Thanks everyone!

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Chile have closed for exports so the Euathlus spp. and others will be hard to get in the future.

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Cyriocosmus elegans.....

One slow growing species!!!!
They dont grow big as well 2" max!!!
Perfect for what your looking for!!!
I had mine in a micheals 2"x2"4"cube for about a year now and he has only grown fro 1/8 - 1"... talking about slow growth...

i agree!!!
Show me a 2" C. elegans.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't think Grammastola would be a good genus because most of its members end up at least 6" and some like G. pulchripes can get pretty big. Granted it takes a LONG time for them to get sizable, I have had my G. pulchripes since 2i and it has been since 2004 and she still has some growin to do.

Cyriocosmus elegans would be a good bet. They stay pretty small and are an interesting species. They burrow a great deal but have a neat habit of hiding under the substrate only to teleport out of nowhere similar to the movie 'Tremors'. It is pretty neat to watch at times, you drop a cricket in, and out of nowhere they will come up and attack it.

I think out of all the Ts I have kept they were most interesting to watch, they are just so cool. They really are jewels and completely under rated in the hobby IMO.