Small flies getting into enclosure

Froggeo

Arachnopeon
I have a new tiny C. versicolor sling housed in a small plastic jar with ventilation holes poked on the lid and all sides. Though the holes are small, I noticed that from time to time some very small flies manage to get through. It doesn't happen often, but it does sometimes. The sling has no problem catching and eating them, but I wonder if I should allow it to continue. What do you think, could the flies be harmful?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Not harmful, but without pictures cant tell you what they are. They could be fruit flies or fungus gnats is what I am imagining based on your decription of size. Are they getting in or coming from withhin?

Froggeo

Arachnopeon
Not harmful, but without pictures cant tell you what they are. They could be fruit flies or fungus gnats is what I am imagining based on your decription of size. Are they getting in or coming from withhin?
Definitely not fruit flies. And coming from the outside from what I've seen. I think they're fungus gnats since I had an infestation in my other tarantulas enclosure a month ago, though I thought I managed to get rid of them by drying the substrate. I don't think there's a risk of them infesting my C. versicolor's jar since the substrate is dry and there aren't any live plants, not even moss. Still, they must be coming from somewhere :/

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Definitely not fruit flies. And coming from the outside from what I've seen. I think they're fungus gnats since I had an infestation in my other tarantulas enclosure a month ago, though I thought I managed to get rid of them by drying the substrate. I don't think there's a risk of them infesting my C. versicolor's jar since the substrate is dry and there aren't any live plants, not even moss. Still, they must be coming from somewhere :/
I think theres your answer, if you hhave already been dealing with fungus gnats, then I would suppose thhats just a continuation of that incident, coming from maybe another enclosure.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If gnats are inside, your setup is not right IME. Needs some optimization.