slowing down my dubia colony

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
Does anyone know how to slow the rate of reproduction in a dubia colony? I have lowered the tank temp to 72f and they seem to still breed like ...well roaches. I am limited on where I can keep them. I have given away about 75 so far to friends, kids classmates, ect. I dont want them to stop JUST SLOW DOWN! :?

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
try to cool it down not just stop heating it and start feeding off the adults. Those were just some things that came to mind, but there are probably more.

Stopdroproll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Feed off the females. Keep them in a cool area, maybe by a window where they will get sunlight. If you want, you can try and separate males and females.

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
I have been feeding off of the gravid females , my t's love that! I really dont have room to seperate them was hoping for a fix that didnt require seperate living quarters! lol

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Egg cases sit around a while before hatching too. Start pulling those guys out of there. I fed off my last breeder sized female weeks and weeks ago, and my colony is still getting larger.

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
Egg cases sit around a while before hatching too. Start pulling those guys out of there. I fed off my last breeder sized female weeks and weeks ago, and my colony is still getting larger.

Dang! Why didnt I think of that! :clap: good idea thanks Jim

Time to go egg sac huntin'!!!

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah I have limited space, and only about 20T's right now, so colony management is essential. :)
I split them into 2 colonies, one raising a new generation of breeders, the other to feed from.
I'll swap them back and forth I think.

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
Of the two hundred or so I have going right now I never have more than two males at a time.Seems to keep things in check.

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you guys can give me your problem, I would be happy. I have to order more because i'm feeding off so many a week and the females are just not producing. Heck they are the first ones to die off.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Does anyone know how to slow the rate of reproduction in a dubia colony? I have lowered the tank temp to 72f and they seem to still breed like ...well roaches. I am limited on where I can keep them. I have given away about 75 so far to friends, kids classmates, ect. I dont want them to stop JUST SLOW DOWN! :?
If you're keeping them humid, let them dry out a bit... it seems to lead to a few more aborted egg cases in my experience. Dial back the feeding to the bare minimum, keep them cool... that's about all you can do. You don't want to let the colony get overcrowded and toxic... worst comes to worst, just flush a couple hundred down the toilet, I've done that a few times before.

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
If you're keeping them humid, let them dry out a bit... it seems to lead to a few more aborted egg cases in my experience. Dial back the feeding to the bare minimum, keep them cool... that's about all you can do. You don't want to let the colony get overcrowded and toxic... worst comes to worst, just flush a couple hundred down the toilet, I've done that a few times before.
I keep them dry, bone dry! I agree with the" You don't want to let the colony get overcrowded and toxic..." I made arrangements to give away another 100 or so and I think that will bring me to a good number I have them cooled off and they are sluggish right now so I think I need to just keep an eye on them to be sure I am doing the right thing!

Thanks guys!

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you really have more than you need, you can send me some, I'll pay shipping. ;)

I actually just lost a ton of my feeders, so I could actually use them.

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
If you really have more than you need, you can send me some, I'll pay shipping. ;)

I actually just lost a ton of my feeders, so I could actually use them.
I just gave 100 away to a guy here ...If my colony starts to explode again I will send you some.

lazarus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How do you prevent dubia nymphs from burying in the substrate? My genic doesn't attack them right away and after playing dead for a while they start digging and they're gone in no time! I've tried ripping half of their feet but they were still able to dig...
She used to do the same with lateralis but I left a roach in there overnight and the next morning she was chewing it and now she attack them at first chance. But I only have a few lateralis nymphs left and I don't want to feed adults until my colony is established.

sorry for the off-topic but I didn't wanted to start another dubia related topic.