Slowest grower in your collection.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I am wondering. Whats the slowest grower in your collection? You know, the one that goes on fasting binges and takes forever to molt. I think my 1/2" Euathlus sp. blue sling is my slowest grower. Has only molted 2-3 times in the last 6 months. But reciently it hasnt eaten in about a month and hasnt molted in almost 2 months. I thought my 9 month old 1.5" aphonopelma sp. new river was slow growing. She will fatten up to about 3 times her carapace size then molt. The thing about my euathlus sp. blue is that it isnt fat. It maintains a normal balance. No matter how hard i try i cannot power feed this sling. I have had very good luck with fattening up my A. sp. new river. Has anyone else experienced this with any other spiecies? :? :wall:

P.S. I keep all my slings at 85-90 deg 24hrs a day.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Which one?!! haha.

My Aphonopelma henzi female(my first T) Only molts every two years.

My G. rosea Hasnt molted in my care yet, ad I have had her for over 2 years.

My King baboon female hasnt molted since I got her(over two years), and she is still plump as the day I go her.

My A. avicularia, only molts once a year(always around X-mas times)

I have a thing for a lot of species that grow slow. Especially Aphonopelma's. I kinda have a soft spot for them. I am in no hurry to watch them grow though.:)

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my A.huriana.. Darn thing is the size of a fingernail and haven't molted in atleast 3 months.. She wont eat either... :eek:

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
wow they weren't kidding about the king baboon being a slow growing spider.

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
1" Aphonopelma sp. "Big Bend" that's 4 years old. It may have had 3 molts in my care.

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow!! Where is that native to? Im guessing Aphonopelma sp. vary some in growth.
Somewhere in Texas. Maybe Big Bend, maybe not. I don't really know. It doesn't have its adult colors, so I can't even place a guess on what it might be. If it was a dwarf species, it would explain it, but I recall seeing others of the same supposed species that were average Aphonopelma size at the store I got them from.

Zman181

Arachnoknight
Aphonopelma sp. :) They grow extremely slooooow. Beautiful species!

sn95

Arachnopeon
Pelinobius muticus Bought 9-28-2008 has molted once in my care from a .75" to a 1" sling. It is almost always willing to eat and its very active, just doesn't seem to want to grow up.

Last edited:

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
Sounds like my king baboon always hungry but never looks like it grows. No wonder they have such a long life span

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
As of right now, my G. rosea, Lurch.

I've had him for almost three years now, he's molted 3 times in my care, and is only pushing 2.75".

Great eater though.

I'm not sure about the rest, as that I've just recently started rebuilding my collection. I had a P. regalis for 2 years that never molted in my care. That was frustrating. Granted, she didn't really have any more growing to do, but stiiiiiiiiiiilllllllllll! :rolleyes:

I do have a feeling that my G. pulchra will be a slow grower too, but then again the Grammys are.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My A. hentzi. I'm used to tiny slings just churning out new skins. It's somewhere just under 1". Molted in June & has no signs of being in premolt :rolleyes:

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My A. sp. "Flagstaff orange" I got it as a 1" sling right around a year ago it's only molted 3 times and is only around 2" now. I've purchased other 1" slings since then that are adults now (or darn well close).

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We have a few slow growers, but part of that is due to us only feeding every two weeks, I'm sure they'd molt more often if we fed them more but we're really not overly concerned with growth rates:

G. rosea sling - it's two years old and only 3/4"
MF G. rosea - molts every second June
F A. bicoloratum - had her for almost a year and she's molted twice and doesn't seem to grow much at all with her molts, she's 2"
M G. pulchra - hasn't molted in a year, he's only 3"

Cass

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a tiny A. hentzi that seems to want to stay that way. Not quite half an inch, I think, and it's been that size for a long time. It's barricaded itself in a burrow, which I can see into, so I do know it's alive. I try to feed it, I honestly do. Not much luck.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Doug Doug Doug.... NONE of them are fast enough growers! You are talking about a guy that has the patience of your average house fly!

:)

Seriously though... I have a P.rufilata girl that I have had since she was a sling and she is about a year old now and still is about 2" max! I have a G.pulchripes that has molted on me once now and didn't grow on single bit and still sitting at about 3.5". :?

I have others, but those are the notable ones! I gave a G.porteri to a buddy of mine and it hasn't molted once yet this year and still is about an inch or less.

Joe - CAK

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am wondering. Whats the slowest grower in your collection? You know, the one that goes on fasting binges and takes forever to molt. I think my 1/2" Euathlus sp. blue sling is my slowest grower. Has only molted 2-3 times in the last 6 months. But reciently it hasnt eaten in about a month and hasnt molted in almost 2 months. I thought my 9 month old 1.5" aphonopelma sp. new river was slow growing. She will fatten up to about 3 times her carapace size then molt. The thing about my euathlus sp. blue is that it isnt fat. It maintains a normal balance. No matter how hard i try i cannot power feed this sling. I have had very good luck with fattening up my A. sp. new river. Has anyone else experienced this with any other spiecies? :? :wall:

P.S. I keep all my slings at 85-90 deg 24hrs a day.
your euathlus sp. blue sounds a lot like mine, even my grammostolas are easily outpacing it. two moults in two months and it hasn't even doubled from 3/4". and trying to give it a chunky butt, forget it. it'll chow, but it never seems to make a difference... :(

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Doug Doug Doug.... NONE of them are fast enough growers! You are talking about a guy that has the patience of your average house fly!

:)

Seriously though... I have a P.rufilata girl that I have had since she was a sling and she is about a year old now and still is about 2" max! I have a G.pulchripes that has molted on me once now and didn't grow on single bit and still sitting at about 3.5". :?

I have others, but those are the notable ones! I gave a G.porteri to a buddy of mine and it hasn't molted once yet this year and still is about an inch or less.

Joe - CAK
Thats a slow growing P. rufilata. How is her feeding regimen? and temps? Oh and that G. pulchripes sounds out of character for them. Mine went from .5" to 1.75" in 3 months. They can really put away the grub for sure.

We have a few slow growers, but part of that is due to us only feeding every two weeks, I'm sure they'd molt more often if we fed them more but we're really not overly concerned with growth rates:

G. rosea sling - it's two years old and only 3/4"
MF G. rosea - molts every second June
F A. bicoloratum - had her for almost a year and she's molted twice and doesn't seem to grow much at all with her molts, she's 2"
M G. pulchra - hasn't molted in a year, he's only 3"

Cass
You have amazing patience my friend! Those aphonopelma are super neat anyway. I just love to watch them eat. Its a huge acomplishment for me to raise one up faster than normal. I have yet to hear of anyone trying to powerfeed one.. I was able to bring my A. New river from .25" to 1.5" in about 9 months. Honestly she is one of the fattest slings i have. They are the north american camels IMO. {D

My A. sp. "Flagstaff orange" I got it as a 1" sling right around a year ago it's only molted 3 times and is only around 2" now. I've purchased other 1" slings since then that are adults now (or darn well close).
Thats not a bad size gain for 2 molts. Just took a long time between molts. :)

your euathlus sp. blue sounds a lot like mine, even my grammostolas are easily outpacing it. two moults in two months and it hasn't even doubled from 3/4". and trying to give it a chunky butt, forget it. it'll chow, but it never seems to make a difference... :(
Now here is someone that knows how i feel. They have a very small appetite.. And to boot they hold out on molting for what seems like an eternity!! It seems they are trying to boycott the hobby. {D

Heres my A. sp. New River North American camel... :eek:

Last edited: