Slow growers

freddierossero

Arachnopeon
Okay, so I know Aphonopelma chalcodes are one of those ridiculously slow growing species but...... This is just silly! I've had mine since October 2014, and it hasn't molted once. Not once! It also goes for ages without eating, which I pretty much expected. Otherwise all seems fine, so am I correct in assuming this is within the norm for this species?

Temps range from mid to high seventies, generally speaking, and the setup is just a basic critter keeper with coco coir, a fake plant, a hide, and a water dish.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I've only had my AF chalcodes for a few weeks so I couldn't say for sure but slow growth rates and longs spells of refusing food are pretty much the norm for arid species.

Enclosure and temps sound fine based on what you've described. How big is the T and how much/often do you feed? If it's close to adulthood then I'd expect that 2-3 years between moults would be fairly normal.

Last edited:

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Their growth rate can be describes in one word, "Glacial". They, being a desert species are sporadic eaters at best. I have two, a mature female and a young female, neither has molted in 8 months. They rarely eat either and they look great. I just leave them be, change the water from time to time, and make sure they get the opportunity at food.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Okay, so I know Aphonopelma chalcodes are one of those ridiculously slow growing species but...... This is just silly! I've had mine since October 2014, and it hasn't molted once. Not once! It also goes for ages without eating, which I pretty much expected. Otherwise all seems fine, so am I correct in assuming this is within the norm for this species?

Temps range from mid to high seventies, generally speaking, and the setup is just a basic critter keeper with coco coir, a fake plant, a hide, and a water dish.

You have not provided enough information at all, and provided subjective information which is less than helpful to provide you a meaningful response.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I seem to remember Jon3800 on youtube owning an AF A. chalcodes for 10 years at one point, and it hadn't molted in all that time. If true, that's pretty amazing.

freddierossero

Arachnopeon
I've only had my SAF chalcodes for a few weeks so I couldn't say for sure but slow growth rates and longs spells of refusing food are pretty much the norm for arid species.

Enclosure and temps sound fine based on what you've described. How big is the T and how much/often do you feed? If it's close to adulthood then I'd expect that 2-3 years between moults would be fairly normal.
It was sold to me as 3.5 to 4", though that seems a little generous to me, so definitely in the adult range. I feed pretty sporadically, tbh, because the T will only eat sporadically. I offer once or twice a month, the T eats less often than that. I usually offer dubias and crickets, but it almost never goes for dubias.