slippery stuff

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've seen a few random suggestions for oil-type things to prevent bugs from getting out of their cages. I'm wondering about any easily accessable slippery substances that work well... is any type of cooking oil ok? Sewing machine oil?

This is specifically for, potentially, a grass spider, black widows, and a centipede.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dont recommend using oils for that purpose. Fine for glass crawlers like roaches ...they crawl up the glass, meet up with the slip barrier and stop trying to climb. Spiders on the other hand build web structure to work themselves upward and will eventually get themselves up and around the oil and could potentially get it on them. Oils on a comb foot or spinneret could end up killing the spider.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok, I'll try to find an alternative.

What would you use to stop an Agelenopsis sp. from attaching its web to the lid?

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok, I'll try to find an alternative.

What would you use to stop an Agelenopsis sp. from attaching its web to the lid?
They web the heck out of whatever space they are given. Probably only option is to turn the jar over (lid down) and that will most likely reduce the amount of webbing she will attach to the lid. Other option would be to cut/drill a feeder hole in the lid, so you are not forced to open the lid every feeding day. ;)

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
One of mine won't attach its web to plastic wrap - the funnel is at the very top, and not a single strand is attached. But plastic wrap is not a very fun/attractive/well-ventilating lid. I guess I could try to attach it in a spider-length ring around the edge of the wire mesh lid, but that would be frustrating to get to work.

Any other ideas? :eek: