Slings vs Adults

jphoenix

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

I'm a newbie and looking for my first T. I've done extensive reading (yes, actual books, not only online) but haven't been able to get a good answer as to whether obtaining an adult for your first T is better than getting a sling. I understand that slings are a bit more work and suffer higher mortality. I'm also interested to know whether raising a sling has any effect on docility/aggression. I've been more of a mammal/avian person so forgive my asking all these questions.

Btw, I'm looking at the various avicularia for my first. I've met a versi and loved her. I know they are supposed to be more docile but hear there are differences among individual temperments.

Thanks in advance for any help/opinions out there. I've learned alot already through all of my searches on this board and looking forward to hearing from some of you.

J

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you want the full experience of a T, i would get an adult or a juvenile. My first T was a Avic Avic 2.5" i got in December and they are just a lot more interesting to watch then a sling (IMO)....slings just kind of sit there...But i recommend that you get an adult / juvenile and then 2 or 3 months later get a sling of your choice, THATS WHAT I DID. and about to order more slings next week.

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As your first T, I'd suggest a juvie/adult. Slings are harder to care for, especially if you're just starting out. Unless you're really up for the challenge. I'd do an entire sling research before getting it though. They require alot more humidity than adults and their feeding schedules are different as well. Although some people feed them the same as they do adults so you just gott see what works for you. But I'd still suggest getting some experience with an older, easier to care for, T. That's just my opinion though {D

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some slings have a tendency to just up and die, even if you do everything 'right'. For this reason, I have to agree that it's best to start with a juvie or an adult. :)

Shea

Arachnosquire
I woudnt even say adult, just get a juvie. With a juvie u still get to experience the excitement of it growing and you feel more attached to it that way. I bought a 2.5in b smithi and he just molted about 2weeks ago and he grew to 3in and it was a great experience and I don't think I would have gotten that it if it were an adult

Kendage

Arachnopeon
I agree with Shea, get a juvie, that's what I did. My first T was a 1.5" G Pulchra, nice, hardy T that's docile, worked out great. My gf also received her first B Smithi at the same time, and she loves them, watching them grow (especially mid-molt) is absolutely mind-boggling, I'm sure you'll love it ;P.

As others have said, slings require more humidity and a careful eye to make sure everything's okay and as said, sometimes they just up and die randomly even though you're properly taking care of them, which would most likely confuse you thinking you're doing something wrong, but I've never had that happen to me yet. Still fairly new to the hobby.

Reguardless of what you chose, I hope you enjoy it and welcome to the hobby :razz:

Fingolfin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm also interested to know whether raising a sling has any effect on docility/aggression.
I don't know that it would, probably not, however, you would be able to observe its personality/behaviour from the start and have a better idea how it is going to react to different scenarios. I was always more wary with juveniles or adults that I wasn't familiar with, whereas with slings I felt more comfortable with them as adults.

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
(especially mid-molt) is absolutely mind-boggling, I'm sure you'll love it ;P :razz:
I watched my .75" G.Pulchripes molt today and that blew my mind, Idk how blown i will be after seeing my 2.5" Avic molt.

I don't know that it would, probably not, however, you would be able to observe its personality/behaviour from the start and have a better idea how it is going to react to different scenarios. I was always more wary with juveniles or adults that I wasn't familiar with, whereas with slings I felt more comfortable with them as adults.
+1

phily1579

Arachnopeon
I agree with Dr. Get an adult for ur first t. Gain experence, then get slings. Slings r a lil more difficult to raise then the adults.a fed t is a Happy T. ;-)

jphoenix

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the replies! I'm really excited to get into T keeping. I can certainly see why it seems to develop into an addiction! My friends think I'm crazy but I keep seeing more and more species and saying "Wow, that's a beautiful spider!" They don't exactly appreciate that sentiment! But it's true, alot of them are just gorgeous!

Regarding the juveniles, am I correct that they are unsexed at that point? At what size are they considered juveniles as opposed to slings?

Thanks again!!!

Royal_T's

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A sling is a juvenile tarantula. To clarify... you may want to start with a sub-adult-adult. Most are undetermined gender unless you are buying from someone who is able to determine the gender before selling.

jphoenix

Arachnopeon
Would a 3 inch a. versicolor be considered a sub-adult? I thought I read that they didn't get that big.

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
2.5" is a good sized T to start with. Thats what mine is and she is perfect! IMO A lot of Ts get sexed around this size but there is plenty that are not.

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As most have said here get a Juvie or a medium sized individual, conditions are not as hazardous and you will still see it grow a lot.

jphoenix

Arachnopeon
Okay, so adult or juvenile. Sounds like that's the consensus. So, what size enclosure would a 2" avic need? I've already ordered the large vertical enclosure (8x8x16) from tarantulahomes.com. I was just so excited & wanted to be prepared before getting the T. I realize that's probably way too big for a spider of that size but it would get there eventually. I can't wait to get my first T!!! I can see an obsession in the beginnings...

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Okay, so adult or juvenile. Sounds like that's the consensus. So, what size enclosure would a 2" avic need? I've already ordered the large vertical enclosure (8x8x16) from tarantulahomes.com. I was just so excited & wanted to be prepared before getting the T. I realize that's probably way too big for a spider of that size but it would get there eventually. I can't wait to get my first T!!! I can see an obsession in the beginnings...
Avicularia sp. as a rule stay relatively small apart from a very few species. Most species dont tend to grow much bigger than 5" LS, personally at 2" LS I find that they do well in a 6x6x8 small arboreal enclosure. Enclosures measuring 8x8x16 I find are better suited to larger arboreal tarantulas such as Poecilotheria & Psalmopoeus.

jphoenix

Arachnopeon
I got the larger enclosure because I was planning on making it a bit of a terrarium with live plants & figured that a little more room would be better in that case. I've seen some amazing pics on this board of some of the environments people have come up with! Not that I think I'll get it anywhere near as beautiful myself, but I'll give it a go. :)

Rob1985

This user has no status.
slings can be a lot of work... especially tiny 1/4"-1/2" slings of species that grow slow as molasses! I am getting a 1/4" Aphonopelma sp. New River in a couple weekends, one of those slow growers, lol :razz:

jphoenix

Arachnopeon
Finally Ordered!

Okay, so my one T has turned into my first TWO Ts. I finally decided after much thought and discussion here and elsewhere. I'm getting and adult A. metallica and a juvenile A. versicolor. I'm sooooo excited!!! Can't wait til those critters get to their new home!!!

I don't know what's gotten into me...who ever thought I would get so excited about having spiders in my house!:D