Slings N Things

Madmomgamer

Arachnopeon
After the death of my A.avic Munchie on Friday my boyfriend went out and surprised me with another T. Unfortunately he got it from Petco which means I have no idea what it is sans the burrowing it has done (terrestrial I'm thinking).

Now, I'm not sure if its too soon for another one but alas I have another T, still worried it'll just off itself in a month like my previous T. To all those very much more experienced than I, I have left my T alone, It is on cocofiber and no water dish at current time cause the darn thing is so small.

I have read this:
http://www.tarantulas.com/spiderlings.html

Got it bookmarked, saved etc. So I have questions. Got the whole leave it alone, feed it dead crickets (blegh) but do i have to massacre it by cutting it up or can I leave a whole body in there? Misting or not misting and use a small lid (from my research seems preference as apparently slings float on water). Its gotta black abdomen but from research there's no telling what the frick it is due to tons of sling-darlings having the same black abdomen so when can I tell? About four or three molts? I can't size it due to it being in its burrow and building all around half of the enclosure(side of enclosure where I can see its cute teenie feet).

Also-is the enclosure ok? Too many/too few breathing holes? If have to will reuse another lid (I have 2 spares). Enclosure too large(8oz. Its in now)? I can go buy a baby food jar cheep if I have to.

Thanks trying to get back on that darn horse I fell off. Any advice is appreciated, Thanks.

Attachments

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
-Prekilled prey: Depending on the size, you've got options. If the sling is tiny enough, just get large crickets and tear off a leg for food. Each large cricket has two jumping legs, and if it makes you feel better, the cricket won't die from this process. If the sling is too large for just a "cricket drumstick", then yeah, you'll have to prekill it.

-Misting: This should only be done as a source of drinking water for the sling, not to provide humidity. If you need more humidity, use a syringe to damped one side of the substrate. If you can fit in a water dish, then yeah, use that. Slings do indeed float.

-Black abdomen: If the abdomen is black, it's likely in premolt. Make sure you have a source of drinking water.

-Ventilation: More ventilation. I always err on the side of "too much" ventilation especially with new hobbyists, as stagnant enclosures are usually more dangerous than dry ones. All "too much ventilation" means is that you'll need to water more often.

-Telling the species: Heh, you could be waiting a long time. If it's a B. vagans, then you'll know within six months. If it's pretty much any other Brachypelma, you could be waiting over a year. Don't worry about the species for now, just enjoy your spider. Do post a picture of the spider though. We can't give any more advice on the enclosure until we see the spider itself.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Petco makes you sign a release saying it's not their fault if you get bit and they're selling you a wild animal and blah blah blah - call the store and have them check their paperwork and read you the name :)

If it came home in one of those little rectangular spiderling jars, it should have the name checked off on the back.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
If it came home in one of those little rectangular spiderling jars, it should have the name checked off on the back.
I wouldn't trust that label or anything they say, frankly. I can't say I frequent these stores, but when the Hut's first came out, I went to check them out. Some labels were very clearly wrong.

Madmomgamer

Arachnopeon
Gotcha! As far as the picture of this baby Ill have to wait to catch it at night and see if it'll come out there's no way Im chasing it out of its burrow, since it seems all sling darling are "afraid of everything".

Madmomgamer

Arachnopeon
Petco makes you sign a release saying it's not their fault if you get bit and they're selling you a wild animal and blah blah blah - call the store and have them check their paperwork and read you the name :)

Well the problem with that is I tried to get a B.vagans before and it ended up being an A.avic. Once again I got a B.vagans marking and still don't trust the label.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I wouldn't trust that label or anything they say, frankly. I can't say I frequent these stores, but when the Hut's first came out, I went to check them out. Some labels were very clearly wrong.
It could at least give her an idea of what kind of enclosure it may need - I've seen them be pretty accurate before. They'll most likely mix up Brachys and Grammostola but I doubt they'd mix up a porteri and an Avic. I've gotten a mislabelled T from Petco before (B. boehmei labelled as B. emelia) but at least it's pretty close :D

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Gotcha! As far as the picture of this baby Ill have to wait to catch it at night and see if it'll come out there's no way Im chasing it out of its burrow, since it seems all sling darling are "afraid of everything".
You can watch the sling at night without bothering it if you use a red light. They can't see it.

Madmomgamer

Arachnopeon
-Prekilled prey: Depending on the size, you've got options. If the sling is tiny enough, just get large crickets and tear off a leg for food. Each large cricket has two jumping legs, and if it makes you feel better, the cricket won't die from this process. If the sling is too large for just a "cricket drumstick", then yeah, you'll have to prekill it.

-Misting: This should only be done as a source of drinking water for the sling, not to provide humidity. If you need more humidity, use a syringe to damped one side of the substrate. If you can fit in a water dish, then yeah, use that. Slings do indeed float.

-Black abdomen: If the abdomen is black, it's likely in premolt. Make sure you have a source of drinking water.

-Ventilation: More ventilation. I always err on the side of "too much" ventilation especially with new hobbyists, as stagnant enclosures are usually more dangerous than dry ones. All "too much ventilation" means is that you'll need to water more often.

-Telling the species: Heh, you could be waiting a long time. If it's a B. vagans, then you'll know within six months. If it's pretty much any other Brachypelma, you could be waiting over a year. Don't worry about the species for now, just enjoy your spider. Do post a picture of the spider though. We can't give any more advice on the enclosure until we see the spider itself.
Well figured I didn't want to mess with it much but here's an idea of how little this guy is Ive circled in red where the little guy is, also under the corner of the latch burrowed quite comfy my little sling is! So cute love its tiny baby feet :) !

Edit: the latch is moved in the pictures that's because I tried to see if I could capture the lil guy from a uptop view no such luck since its burrowed and seemingly happy seems to make its way to the slightly damp cocofiber since I heard to dampen 1/4 of its enclosure I just did that so it could drink though its drying out now will probably put a water bowl/small bottle lid in there for it if the enclosure is right.

Attachments

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Well figured I didn't want to mess with it much but here's an idea of how little this guy is Ive circled in red where the little guy is, also under the corner of the latch burrowed quite comfy my little sling is! So cute love its tiny baby feet :) !
Good lord that's a small spider. If I'm looking at the right thing.

I don't think I'd rehouse, but yeah, that enclosure is massive. Just be sure it's eating and has a good place to hide.

Madmomgamer

Arachnopeon

I don't think I'd rehouse, but yeah, that enclosure is massive. Just be sure it's eating and has a good place to hide.
I tried a dead cricket by its burrow last night but it didn't seem to take it but I just got it ill try again tomorrow I think.

Madmomgamer

Arachnopeon

Would perhaps leaving a mangled cricket all over be wise enough though messy for me for the lil guy to find food?

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Would perhaps leaving a mangled cricket all over be wise enough though messy for me for the lil guy to find food?
You could probably just leace the cricket near the burrow. If it doesn't take it, then it probably just isn't hungry ;) As long as it's near the entrance, they usually find it if they are hungry

Madmomgamer

Arachnopeon
You could probably just leace the cricket near the burrow. If it doesn't take it, then it probably just isn't hungry ;) As long as it's near the entrance, they usually find it if they are hungry
So Im also going to assume no go on the bottle lid while its still itty bitty then or should I include it? I don't want to over burden the lil baby if I don't have to just want it to sleep eat drink and grow.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
If you are talking about a bottle cap as a water dish, I would include it. IME, water seems to be most important in that stage, through both actual water and humidity. Great thing abiut small T's too is that their hairs and light weight allow them to never drown. Not really a liability, and it can keep humidity plus make sure it has water :D I had a few scorplings that had dehydrated, and I feel terrible. At such a young age, it never hurts, especially with T's ;)

Madmomgamer

Arachnopeon
If you are talking about a bottle cap as a water dish, I would include it. IME, water seems to be most important in that stage, through both actual water and humidity. Great thing abiut small T's too is that their hairs and light weight allow them to never drown. Not really a liability, and it can keep humidity plus make sure it has water :D I had a few scorplings that had dehydrated, and I feel terrible. At such a young age, it never hurts, especially with T's ;)
I was totally thinking that too! On top of that my lil one looks like its happy this morning I found an entirely dug out burrow, so hiding isn't a problem since I provided at least an inch deep of substrate and at night it burrows. This morning it was perched on top of its burrow looking for food Im thinking so lil guys ready to eat. I gotta good feeling with this little guy. :D Certainly acts happy.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
So Im also going to assume no go on the bottle lid while its still itty bitty then or should I include it? I don't want to over burden the lil baby if I don't have to just want it to sleep eat drink and grow.
I'd give it a water dish and at that size keep the substrate moist (not wet). Just prekill some prey and leave it a few times a week. if it's hungry it'll scavenge for food.

That is a tiny sling and depending on the species it could be that way a long time. Good luck.

Madmomgamer

Arachnopeon
I'd give it a water dish and at that size keep the substrate moist (not wet). Just prekill some prey and leave it a few times a week. if it's hungry it'll scavenge for food.

That is a tiny sling and depending on the species it could be that way a long time. Good luck.
Thank you! I usually aim for the walls of the enclosure and let the spray do the rest for light misting, just put in a massacred cricket in and spread the body parts around. Also this lil guy has a water dish now :D So now all it needs to do is do what its supposed to(eat, drink and be happy).