Slings for days

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I jumped in head first into the breeding game, didn't I?

Through the bad influences of @louise f and her videos, the breeding bug bit me. It started off innocent enough when I bought a male P. striata at the last show I went to. Then I acquired a male GBB through another user on here. But then a great opportunity came along to get a male B. emilia, and I thought that I'd be crazy to pass that up. And then @sdsnybny reached out to me with a male E. truculentus after finding my year-old thread about my female, which is apparently a rare species that people want to get their hands on.

So, yeah. Head first. Good God, what have I gotten myself into? I'm going to have slings up to my eyeballs within a year. I blame all of you. You're all terrible enablers, and you should be ashamed.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I agree! I'll officially be starting up my breeding op in about a month now, these degenerates, I can't believe how they manipulated my fragile little mind into breeding these critters, what's next? I can already feel the voices saying "poecs are gooooood" and something about a goddess? o.0

Seriously though, awesome animals aren't they? I can't wait to get started, man..

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I jumped in head first into the breeding game, didn't I?

Through the bad influences of @louise f and her videos, the breeding bug bit me. It started off innocent enough when I bought a male P. striata at the last show I went to. Then I acquired a male GBB through another user on here. But then a great opportunity came along to get a male B. emilia, and I thought that I'd be crazy to pass that up. And then @sdsnybny reached out to me with a male E. truculentus after finding my year-old thread about my female, which is apparently a rare species that people want to get their hands on.

So, yeah. Head first. Good God, what have I gotten myself into? I'm going to have slings up to my eyeballs within a year. I blame all of you. You're all terrible enablers, and you should be ashamed.
You Sir are entirely welcome glad I could help....and if one MM E. truculentus isn't enough I have two more that will mature in 1-2 molts. gotta love Euathlus

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You Sir are entirely welcome glad I could help....and if one MM E. truculentus isn't enough I have two more that will mature in 1-2 molts. gotta love Euathlus
I can't find a single breeding report on E. truculentus, but that genus seems to yield around 150-200 slings, give or take. With any luck, your males can hold out long enough for the female to finish a sac and possibly molt. Or, y'know, if she's a male eater :rolleyes: I doubt it though, this genus is so gentle.

Last edited:

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I can't find a single breeding report on E. truculentus, but that genus seems to yield around 150-200 slings, give or take. With any luck, your males can hold out long enough for the female to finish a sac and possibly molt. Or, y'know, if she's a male eater :rolleyes: I doubt it though, this genus is so gentle.
Here's one with a bit of info, but looks like they weren't successful:
http://www.tarantulas-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4533&p=51017&hilit=truculentus#p51017

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
When I looked there wasn't much but some YouTube videos on them pairing.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Well, I know someone who won't be happy if he doesn't end up with one or five of these. ;)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Here's one with a bit of info, but looks like they weren't successful:
http://www.tarantulas-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4533&p=51017&hilit=truculentus#p51017
Thank you very much for that link! Gotta say, guy with the most advice seems to be blowing smoke:

"The female needs to be cooled down with little or no food for a few months before you attempt any breeding. Once you bring the temps back up, feed her 2-3 prey items a week for a few weeks then introduce the male. Reduce feeding down to one item a week and pair them up again a few weeks later if you want/need to. After a good few months raise the temps and cross your fingers"
He may as well hang a few dream catchers while he's at it. What's with that ritual of denying food before pairing? I've never even heard of this before.

Last edited:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Thank you very much for that link! Gotta say, guy with the most advice seems to be blowing smoke:
Sounds like he was trying to simulate winter (famine/cool temp) then spring(plenty/warmer) then summer (heat). Maybe that's why they were not successful. Sounds a bit off to me too.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
He may as well hang a few dream catchers while he's at it. What's with that ritual of denying food before pairing? I've never even heard of this before.
I've heard of people doing that to multiple different NW terrestrials, but I agree with you and Trenor, probably isn't a very helpful thing to do.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I've heard of people doing that to multiple different NW terrestrials, but I agree with you and Trenor, probably isn't a very helpful thing to do.
Well, there's no such thing as bad knowledge. You either learn what to do or learn what not to do. I appreciate the link nonetheless :D

It's this species I'm most excited for. Very little information, and the species doesn't have a firm footing in the hobby. I'd love to bring an influx of slings to the hobby, especially those on these boards. With any luck, other breeders on here can get this species to really take off.

B. emilia is just intimidating. I'm excited because she's my crown jewel, but I'm reading reports of 600+ slings.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Deli cups everywhere!!!!!! I remember when I had broods of P. imperator, two H. spinigerus, and C. sculpturatus happen within the same week. Too. Many. Babies......

At least you knew this was coming.