Slings as a first time owner?

Blackthorns

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone! I am in the early stages of researching tarantula care, and have determined that I would like to pick one up at some point. The species I am specifically interested in are the aphonopelma chalcodes, tliltocatl albopilosum, or the brachypelma hamorii, but I am open to suggestions! I am not looking to collect tarantula's (famous last words, I am sure), and intend to only have the one in a nice display tank. Which is where my question comes in- is it even a good idea for a beginner to get a sling? Obviously a sling tends to be more affordable and I would love the chance to watch one grow up, but I also don't want to get in over my head. I have access to a large array of feeder insects (in size and type) as I breed my own dubia roaches and always have mealworms on hand- not to mention a 'treat' worm such as wax or hornworms often- as I have two geckos (leopard and crested)- so I feel like feeders would not be a concern? Unless I am missing something- which is why I am asking you all!
I guess my major concern would be escaping/bolting- but I am honestly not sure how bolty chill new worlds even would be? But again, just thought I would see what more experienced keepers thought.

(for honesty's sake, this question is 100% motivated by my isopod guy having curly slings for 5 bucks a piece lol)

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Those species are fine and starting with a sling is fine. Thats what I did. They're a little more fragile but those are pretty hardy species. The curly is gonna grow faster than the other two.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Most of my collection I started as slings and enjoy growing my experience as they grow.

T. albopilosum are awesome little diggers and entertaining. They’re hardy, grow at a decent pace and great eaters.

Vedak

Arachnopeon
I think those would be good. I go with slings also to save money. Sometimes you can find killer deals on the more common species. For example my local reptile store has Aphonopelma Hentzi slings for $6.99. It's hard to resist buying 10 more at that price.

Hello everyone! I am in the early stages of researching tarantula care, and have determined that I would like to pick one up at some point. The species I am specifically interested in are the aphonopelma chalcodes, tliltocatl albopilosum, or the brachypelma hamorii, but I am open to suggestions! I am not looking to collect tarantula's (famous last words, I am sure), and intend to only have the one in a nice display tank. Which is where my question comes in- is it even a good idea for a beginner to get a sling? Obviously a sling tends to be more affordable and I would love the chance to watch one grow up, but I also don't want to get in over my head. I have access to a large array of feeder insects (in size and type) as I breed my own dubia roaches and always have mealworms on hand- not to mention a 'treat' worm such as wax or hornworms often- as I have two geckos (leopard and crested)- so I feel like feeders would not be a concern? Unless I am missing something- which is why I am asking you all!
I guess my major concern would be escaping/bolting- but I am honestly not sure how bolty chill new worlds even would be? But again, just thought I would see what more experienced keepers thought.

(for honesty's sake, this question is 100% motivated by my isopod guy having curly slings for 5 bucks a piece lol)

Hi there and welcome to the forum.
Those are all beginner friendly and will make great first tarantula.
Having said that if you just want one I will stay clear from the Aphonopelma calcodes as its growing at a very slow pace and it can be 10 years till it reaches maturity.They are also prone to long fasting periods up to 2+years of refusing food.
The Tliltocatl albopilosus is the fastest growing species of those 3 and really fun to have.Great feeding response and mega fluffy too(especially the Nicaraguan form).
Those can sometimes take on a fossorial lifestyle and you may end up with an adult that you see only few times an year like my adult female that I have.
Brachypelma hamorii is probably the best dysplay tarantula from your 3 options. Still grows a bit on the slow side especially when they hit the juvenile stage and can kick hairs quite a lot too.
The sling care for those is quite straight forward and easy just have in mind if you opt for a single sling it may take a while to grow and end up male so you may want to opt for multiple specimens to increase your chances of a female and then move on the excess.
Regards Konstantin

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Get the T. Albo, you definitely don't want an A chalcodes sling if you're planning on it being a nice display spider; you'll be waiting a very long time for it to grow up.

Slings are barely any harder to keep than adults honestly. If you do your research and a bit of common sense you won't have any problems.

T albos are great, there's a reason they are the number 1 recommended tarantula.

If you want a large impressive spider in less time, get an A. Geniculata, also a great tarantula and slightly more lively in temperament

zoroastrianpulchripes

Arachnosquire

Slings aren´t harder than adults at all other than their tendency to bolt SLIGHTLY more and the fact they´re smaller. If you want a nice display one, dont go for the A. chalcodes, as they´re very slow growing. B. hamorii and T. albo are nearly always good choices, although I prefer different members of their genuses.

Feeders won´t be a problem as you´re breeding roaches and mealworms. Roaches should be around 80% of the diet and Mealworms about 20%. Treats will always be accepted as they vary the diet.

Welcome to the hobby! :)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Honestly, slings are not difficult at all. Tliltocatl albopilosus will be fine, they're pretty bulletproof care-wise, eat well, and grow at a decent rate compared to most beginner species.

Don't bother getting an A. chalcodes sling unless you have the patience of 500 saints combined because most Aphonopelma are heinously slow growers (take it from someone who has a 2 year old A. bicoloratum that is still under 1 inch).

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Slings are rewarding to grow up, but if you're truly only planning on keeping one T, I'd choose an adult or at least a juvie. Adult chalcodes and albos are available for $50-$80 plus shipping, that to me is worth it to skip waiting 3-6 years for your sling to be an impressive display animal!

Rdeuvletian

Arachnopeon
Hi!
These are good beginner options. As for the boltiness, don’t worry about it with small new worlds. If you’re worried about it escaping, just make sure the lid clips on tightly, and that the ventilation holes are not wider than the carapace.

As for feeders. What I find easiest for slings is crushing the head of a mealworm or putting half a mealworm in the enclosure and letting the sling scavenge. This has worked wonders for me until they are big enough to take bigger prey or live prey.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
A sling would be fine, especially of the species you described. They’re pretty hardy even as slings, but they do grow very slowly save for the T. albo. My three T albos have grown faster than my Brachys and MUCH faster than my Aphonopelma species.

That being said, I have an adult female of two of the species you described. The T albo and the A. chalcodes, and it’s hard to pick between the two as far as a favorite so go with whichever one you like the look of the most! I’d say the T albo is a better eater overall, and both are always out and don’t use their hides at all or burrow anymore.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I always go for slings, the smaller in size, the better. It feels great watching small slings get bigger, larger. I love rehousing them into their properly sized enclosures as they grow. It is such a joy, and also it helps knowing them by watching / observing / taking care of them.

Last edited:

Blackthorns

Arachnopeon
hey everyone, thank you so much for your response! seems like I will go for a curly sling OR an adult a. chalcodes :)

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
given your selected species i wouldn’t really be concerned about the specimen bolting out of the enclosure - i think it depends on the size of the sling in question - i feel like 1+ inches would good tbh

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Even adult A. chalcodes do things slowly. I got mine 4.5 years ago and she still hasn't molted, and hasn't eaten in a couple of years (and still has a plump abdomen.) Not very exciting for a beginning keeper, although they are pretty. I'd get one down the road, and get Ts that will grow and eat more regularly first.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Even adult A. chalcodes do things slowly. I got mine 4.5 years ago and she still hasn't molted, and hasn't eaten in a couple of years (and still has a plump abdomen.) Not very exciting for a beginning keeper, although they are pretty. I'd get one down the road, and get Ts that will grow and eat more regularly first.
Agreed, my A Chalcodes AF has to be the fussiest eater in the world... Currently sealed up for the winter. I love her and think she's great but I'd be pretty sad if she was my only spider

TheHound

Arachnoknight
I started with a juvenile so I could enjoy growing it but not wait forever for it to get to adulthood - also so I could get husbandry experience before looking after comparitively fragile slings. However, it was only a touch over 2 months later that I got my first sling (a C versicolor) along with an even smaller freebie sling. Both still doing well thankfully! It's not rocket science and if you're researched and careful then you should be OK.