Sling wont eat anything

Aryan Kalia

Arachnopeon
Hi
first I know the question sounds dumb how do I feed a sling
but my Sling wont eat, its now 2cm and its a Bracypalma Albopiliousum
It molted saturday 1st so its been 6 days and the fangs looked hardened as they look black
the T does not seem interested in eating :O I got it a month ago (12th March)
it has not eaten anything and its worrying

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Give it another week before you start to question it. Give it another two weeks before starting to worry.

Just be sure it has a full, clean water dish at all times. If the enclosure is too small for a water dish, spritz the side once every other day for drinking water.

Aryan Kalia

Arachnopeon
Give it another week before you start to question it. Give it another two weeks before starting to worry.

Just be sure it has a full, clean water dish at all times. If the enclosure is too small for a water dish, spritz the side once every other day for drinking water.
ok thanks
I have a Water bowl its clean and the enclosure is good sized

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
ok thanks
I have a Water bowl its clean and the enclosure is good sized
Since you've already got a thread going, you may as well post a picture of the enclosure. We could critique it. You don't know what you don't know, after all...

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
the enclosure is good sized
The intuitive thing with most pets (give them as much room as possible) doesn't really apply to tarantulas. This looks like cruelty to people who don't know anything about tarantulas, but it's not.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Nothing wrong with large enclosures in and of themselves. The issues that come in to play are that it is "harder" (requires more water) to keep all the substrate moist and it reduces the chance of prey-predator interactions as prey could hide elsewhere and never be found. The spider isn't hurt by a large tank but the keeper has to be a bit more vigilant in ensuring prey is eaten and use more water...or have a great moisture gradient across the extra sub :) Burrowers love that.

Aryan Kalia

Arachnopeon
Since you've already got a thread going, you may as well post a picture of the enclosure. We could critique it. You don't know what you don't know, after all...
ok chris
its used for a 2cm Bracypalma Albopiliousum last night it moved around alot
"wandering" Wandering Curly Hair ;) Bracy Encl.jpg

Aryan Kalia

Arachnopeon
The intuitive thing with most pets (give them as much room as possible) doesn't really apply to tarantulas. This looks like cruelty to people who don't know anything about tarantulas, but it's not.
ah ok
by the way the fangs of my T look black now or a really dark red

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
That cage looks fine. What's that thing in the water bowl? I'm on my phone and the pics blurry, if thats a sponge I'd take it out. The substrate looks pretty damp too if it is then I'd let it dry out a bit.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
if the fangs are red definitely remove any prey and wait a week. offering prey before the fangs have hardened can be a death sentence to a tarantula. as long as its abdomen isnt shriveled or seriously smaller that the carapace you'll be ok.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
More air holes.

Generally a T won't eat until the fangs are hard anyway. Just don't give it a hard shelled meal like a roach. Wingless crickets are nice and soft or a superworm. But yeah, wait until they're black to feed. Usually a week for smaller spiders and up to two weeks for larger.

Aryan Kalia

Arachnopeon
More air holes.

Generally a T won't eat until the fangs are hard anyway. Just don't give it a hard shelled meal like a roach. Wingless crickets are nice and soft or a superworm. But yeah, wait until they're black to feed. Usually a week for smaller spiders and up to two weeks for larger.
eah the fangs are black but it wont eat

Aryan Kalia

Arachnopeon
if the fangs are red definitely remove any prey and wait a week. offering prey before the fangs have hardened can be a death sentence to a tarantula. as long as its abdomen isnt shriveled or seriously smaller that the carapace you'll be ok.
the fangs are hard yes the tarantula wont eat anything!! :(

Aryan Kalia

Arachnopeon
That cage looks fine. What's that thing in the water bowl? I'm on my phone and the pics blurry, if thats a sponge I'd take it out. The substrate looks pretty damp too if it is then I'd let it dry out a bit.
its a leaf to support the T incase it accidentally falls in it can just walk out

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
I would think also as the T didn't eat prior to molt that the molting process would leave them tired and I would think they need to recover from the process. It does after all take 6 hours give or take right?
From a medical perspective, if I had not eaten anything and I spent 5-6 hours trying to get out of something that is as tight as a wet suit I would need to rest before moving to eat or do anything else.
That's putting myself in my Ts shoes lol. I would not think it would be any different for them although I am not an expert.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Wait until you have an adult T that you don't see for three months in premolt then it doesn't come out for over a month afterwards and even then sporadically for a couple of months :p

It'll eat when it's ready and no sooner. Less than a week after a molt and you're worried about it not eating? Patience. You're basically taking care of an eight-legged plant :) Less is more and your patience will be tested. If it's 3-4+ weeks and still not eating then I would start wondering.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
its a leaf to support the T incase it accidentally falls in it can just walk out
Unnecessary. They won't drown and can get out on their own. Now, crickets otoh, dumber than a box of rocks when it comes to water.

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
Mine spend all their time in their borrows during the day and come out at night. I am either working or in bed so I don't see them. I know they have been out though.

Aryan Kalia

Arachnopeon
Unnecessary. They won't drown and can get out on their own. Now, crickets otoh, dumber than a box of rocks when it comes to water.
well its just for my little sling for the time being
Wait until you have an adult T that you don't see for three months in premolt then it doesn't come out for over a month afterwards and even then sporadically for a couple of months :p

It'll eat when it's ready and no sooner. Less than a week after a molt and you're worried about it not eating? Patience. You're basically taking care of an eight-legged plant :) Less is more and your patience will be tested. If it's 3-4+ weeks and still not eating then I would start wondering.
its been a month.... first 3 weeks no eat and then pre molt saturday 1st molted now wont eat anything