Sling Ventilation

The_Dude

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Curious as to how people choose to properly ventilate their sling enclosures. For the majority, this consists of those small clear plastic vials. Is it necessary to include cross ventilation in these tiny habitats, or should numerous holes in the top be sufficient? More specifically, I'm referring to ventilation-sensitive species, ie Avic's, but I suppose this question applies to all small candidates.

I'm asking because I recently received some new tiny buddies - 1/2" A. diversipes and 3/4" A. purpurea - and want to make sure they will be comfortable. Only concern is that cross-ventilation in enclosures this small would deplete humidity levels too rapidly. Thanks!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
for my terrestrial slings i keep them in small rectangle shaped plastic cups, with holes poked all the way around the top of the sides with a needle....for my arboreals, i keep them in vials with holes poked in the lid...once the arboreals are large enough i transfer them into vials that i have drilled 1/8" holes for cross vents, and i have a leather punch that has multiple settings, and i use it to punch holes in the lids....with my A. versicolor slings that are in vials right now, i just have holes poked in the top, with no cross ventilation...so far all is well....once they molt another time or two, ill move them into bigger vials with cross vents..

0siris

Arachnosquire
you could also use deli cups, I posted this a while back so I'll link to it,

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...bescen-sling&p=1926000&viewfull=1#post1926000

You can make holes in the side of the cup itself. The great thing about cross ventilation is not only does it provide better ventilation, but you could stack the cups on top of one another when your collection grows :biggrin:

As far as drying out too quickly, In my limited experience more avic slings die from damp and stagnant conditions than from the lack of humidity. A gentle mist on the enclosure wall two or three times a week (depends on your ambient humidity) will ensure they are well hydrated. You only need to get them through another molt or two and they will be ready for a small bottlecap sized water dish.

The_Dude

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Right on, thanks for the info. I was asking because as of now, I have my little avics in small plastic vials with 1/8" holes in the lid with a mesh screen to prevent houdini attempts. And I was trying to avoid modifying the vials by adding cross ventilation just yet because they have already started webbing and I didn't wanna be an imposter. Like you said, I'll wait a molt or two then transfer to a bigger home with x-vents :) Thanks!

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
In a few decades of doing this, I've never cross ventilated anything, not avic slings - nothing.
Somebody said "cross ventilation" one day, and it just stuck, and spread, never mind actual empirical data.

0siris

Arachnosquire
i would like to hear your argument on regular top lid ventilaion vs cross ventilation. It seems logical to me (and apparently many others) that cross ventilation would provide more airflow. You seem to be against the idea JimM

Last edited:

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I think he meant that it's just not as necessary as most people think. I can vouch for that. I've kept many slings, and avics too, with no cross ventilation and have had no problems. In fact, I don't offer much in the way of ventilation at all for slings. Cross ventilation does help keep drier conditions, which may be useful for some species.

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Exactly.
I think people who's husbandry methodology is based on reading message boards rather than long years of experience are more likely to
be of the opinion that cross ventilation is necessary.

I never even heard it mentioned until I found this forum one day, and that after years of keeping avic and other slings with a few pin holes in the lid,
and no losses. If there is a species that is sensitive to lack of cross ventilation, I haven't found it.

The good news is that if you're bent on thinking it makes a difference, you can go ahead and do it without any ill effect to your animal, just watch
humidity. I've found that's really where the diminishing returns come from - they can dry out quickly if you don't pay close attention.

I ignore my spiders for weeks at a time with no problems.