s'ling to juvie

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can anyone tell me at what point a s'ling turns into a juvie? Is it size, amounts of sheds or something else that I might be missing?

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think a sling is considered a juvie when it starts to show its adult colors.

Mark

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
James: As you know some tarantula's grow to be 10", and some to just 3", a spider that can grow to 10" will probably still be called a spiderling when it is 2,5-3", and a spider that is an adult at 3" will obviously not be a juvie at that size... The whole sling to juvie question is very hard to answer and is a bit personal. Personally, I use the adult colors, as soon as it has them I call it a juvie instead of a sling.
greetz,
Joost

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Originally posted by ArachnoJoost
James: As you know some tarantula's grow to be 10", and some to just 3", a spider that can grow to 10" will probably still be called a spiderling when it is 2,5-3", and a spider that is an adult at 3" will obviously not be a juvie at that size... The whole sling to juvie question is very hard to answer and is a bit personal. Personally, I use the adult colors, as soon as it has them I call it a juvie instead of a sling.
greetz,
Joost
Well I guess that makes a lot of sense!

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by ArachnoJoost
Personally, I use the adult colors, as soon as it has them I call it a juvie instead of a sling.
Or at least adult appearance. My A. versicolor and C. cyanopubescens clearly don't have adult coloration, but they are definitely juveniles in my mind.

Although I would say that even "giant" species are still not slings at 2.5" with the possible exception of something like a blondi that starts off a moult or two from that size. A. geniculata can get about 10" and by 2.5" is definitely showing 100% adult appearance and markings.