Sling thriving/mortality

Maggie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just something i have been wondering about. I have a group of A. avic slings, all monitored and kept under the same conditions. Some eat like crazy and took off in growth, some dont seem to really like anything fed to them and have stayed small, i lost a couple of those.:(
I have heard it said that the larger ones are the males and the smaller, the females. Is this true? If so, are females more finicky than males??
Or is part of this natural selection? I imagine conditions in the wild it is survival of the strongest? I havent had the opportunity yet to observe this with other groups of slings since at the most, i only have a few of any one species.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have recently suffered losses of a similar nature. I lost a small L. difficilis during a molt out of a group of ten a while back. Then in the last couple of days I lost a C. thorelli out of a group of ten and an E. murinus out of a group of twenty. All have been small slings in the 1/2 to 3/4 inch range. The losses are puzzeling since they are kept under the same conditions as their siblings who all seem to be thriving. I think it's unavoidable to a certain degree.

Botar

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have heard it said that the larger ones are the males and the smaller, the females. Is this true?

I wont say that this is not usually the case, but it is definitely not always the case. I have raised numerous groups of T siblings and have gotten results that were contrary to this on several occasions.