Sling that layed the golden eggs

MJInsoCal

Arachnopeon
Just wondering how often, if ever, people get a 1/2" sling... and months later find out it isn't the golden goose but a totally different species? By the time the spiderling gets large enough to id? Has anyone experiences a bait and swap?

magouilles

Arachnoknight
Just wondering how often, if ever, people get a 1/2" sling... and months later find out it isn't the golden goose but a totally different species? By the time the spiderling gets large enough to id? Has anyone experiences a bait and swap?
never happened to me so far but I mostly only get my spiders from the same seller and I never got disappointed or baited before🤷‍♀️but I only got 7 slings ever so maybe it is a common thing to happen idk😂i’d be super pissed if it’d happen to me wth I mean you buy a certain specie to get that specific specie I mean...it’d suck

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
This isn't a common issue with reputable dealers. When it does happen, it's usually a case where the dealer themselves was lied to by a wholesaler. Tom Moran has a podcast on ths topic, and some personal experiences dealing with it. I've never had it happen to me!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Dealers will often import some of their stock - sometimes thousands of spiderlings in one shipment. Sometimes even over 10,000 spiderlings. The packages are often not marked very well and it literally takes days to figure out by comparing them to the invoice. Sometimes importers get it wrong. Sometimes the exporter got it wrong. Accidents do happen with spiderlings. It's less common with individuals who are showing adult colours, but it can still get a bit difficult with them too. There is a difference between that and being careless, or breeding/selling when you don't really know what you're doing.
There's a big difference.

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
Never had an issue so far with online retailers.

I did pick up a young hamorii from a pet shop that I suspect may actually be a boehmei but it's since gone into HEAVY premolt and is basically a dark brown shell right now. We will see in its next molt or so. I wouldn't be mad either way I love both species.

That particular store has a ton of slings. They provide good enough care to the slings so I feel comfortable buying from them. They don't baby and spoil them like I would - but I get it you're trying to run a business. Coco fibre, water, a hide, and tall cups for arboreals is good enough.

But they do have a lot and have admitted to having trouble keeping inventory which I'm sure has led to some mislabels.
I work in a warehouse and have trouble keeping inventory of fast-moving stock that is inanimate so I get it, though I low key would love to spread sheet that out for them.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I've never had this exact problem, but I have been sold a supposedly "confirmed female" that turned out to be a male. So there's that.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Bought a juvie P. cancerides that turned out to be P. atrichomatus but sellers mix those two up pretty often from what I gather.

MJInsoCal

Arachnopeon
had one seller send me two Acanthoscurria geniculata slings in vials with different names (H. tigrina and GBB on them).. had me wondering. I guess i'll find out in a few months as they grow.