Sling questions

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Hi,

two questions about two slings I own.

I recently picked up a Ephebopus cyanognathus from an LPS, what is the growth rate on these majestic spiders? Second question, how young does sexual dimorphism take place in C.lividium?

Thanks!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I recently picked up a Ephebopus cyanognathus from an LPS, what is the growth rate on these majestic spiders?
I have not raised one of these yet but from my understanding they grow very quick.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I keep Ephebopus uatuman and yes they grow fast and love to burrow. If you give them 10" of sub they will hit bottom within a couple of days. They also like a bit of moisture. I keep my @3' in a 4"x8"x12" with 8" of sub. I put in springtails and isopods to deal with any problems from the added moisture. Mine went from 1/2" slings on Sept 2015 to just over 3" at last molt this week. That's 6 molts in my care

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I recently picked up a Ephebopus cyanognathus from an LPS
I've owned several. They grow very fast, like GBBs, even faster in some cases. Like it a bit moist, and significant burrowers. Give them deep sub. As they mature, the lightning blue setae will turn to violet and not be as bright, their leg banding won't be as bright orange either. They are unusual in that their urticating setae are not located on their abdomen, but on their chelicerae.

They are a very, very nervous species, but excellent eaters. The most nervous species I've owned from the NW I think.

Definitely provide a water bowl, even at a young age as they will use it.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Second question, how young does sexual dimorphism take place in C.lividium?
It's pretty easy to sex those man; aside from the exuvia checking, of course (always the 100% best way) "time" will show you this:

Hapl. liv. femmina 04.JPG

H.L. 08-01-2004 04.JPG

See the IMO incredible difference? :)

scott308

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's pretty easy to sex those man; aside from the exuvia checking, of course (always the 100% best way) "time" will show you this:
I'm pretty sure he knows what they will eventually look like. He was asking when you should be able to tell.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm pretty sure he knows what they will eventually look like. He was asking when you should be able to tell.
I don't think there's a general answer, depends. Depends by the sling/s size, first instar/s? A bit bigger? Correct parameters and certain feeding schedule obviously enter... anyway I say that at 3/3.5 cm size you are able to see that even without the exuvia checking, MM H.lividum (C.lividum) are very little. Less than two years however I say.