Sling purchased at a reptile expo

NYCreepy Crawler

Arachnopeon
So I decided to take some friends along with me to the reptile expo show in White Plains NY back in February 9th 2020. great show, will attend again when opened. I added great new T's to my collection. I purchased a sling and it was labeled "Brazilian Red and Black" however when I try to find any information on this species I only get Brazilian red and white (nhandu chromatus) and just plain Brazilian black. I took several photos of the sling and compared them to other Brazilians and made a match. as yourself being a tarantula person please help me determine the type it is. are Brazilian red and black even a thing ?

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Never heard of that common name.

There are many New World slings that look pretty similar to near identical

You will have to wait till adult colors to be sure.

Even then it’s possible you will have a T that you can’t identify on your own, and may need someone with cladistics to ID for you.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
It's a Grammostola chromatus, problem solved 😂😂😂

I'm between Nhandu chromatus and Acanthoscurria geniculata.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I'd wager it's a Nhandu chromatus bit there's no way to even give a good guess until it has its adult colors.

Pepper

Arachnosquire
Is there a way for you to track down the vendor to ask them? Maybe the expo posted a list of vendors?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
It could be a Nhandu carapoensis - they're red and black. Although they usually go by "Brazilian Red". Never buy from dealers who don't use binomial nomenclature. Some use both, and I understand that, but they should never use common names alone.
I also think you should contact the seller to make sure.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
If I had to guess then I'd say Nhandu carapoensis (pictured below) but you won't know for sure until it's larger and gets its adult colouring as most NW terrestrial species look practically identical as slings.

View media item 63867