Sling or Juvie

SpiderSling2017

Arachnopeon
Hey all :) I'm hoping to get my first T soon

I've done my research carefully and have decided on a Euathlus Sp Red "Chilean Flame"

I've heard they are the best beginner spider, due to their docile nature, although they are not great eaters.

I was also told Sp Red slings are harder to care for then Juvie's, is this true?

The reason I ask is it seems that most people sell only slings, and being based in England my options are limited.

Should I get a sling or try my luck for a Juvie down the line?
Plus if my only option is a sling any links on how to care for them is appreciated.

Thank you ~SS2017

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I was also told Sp Red slings are harder to care for then Juvie's, is this true?

Plus if my only option is a sling any links on how to care for them is appreciated.
Slings are often more fragile than juveniles. Sling care normally involves keeping it in a somewhat moist container -- even if the adults like it dry. They need some substrate, a place to hide, and a water dish (if you can fit one in the sling's container).

Offer prey that is no bigger than the sling, ideally no bigger than the abdomen. If you don't have any feeders that small, you can feed parts (like cricket drumsticks or half a mealworm).

I'll leave the Euathlus-specific advice to those who have kept them:

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Excellent choice (I am not just saying this because this is my favorite species) if you are one who does not have the patience for waiting for a small sling to grow (which takes a while), then I would suggest an adult, but, if that is no problem then go for a sling. I have two of these. Bought them both in October and the sling has yet to molt for me. My female is a typical E. Sp. Red, she has not kicked once. Not many do this anymore, but I have found the old fashioned pill vile is pretty spacious for slings since they are very tiny. they aren't the most spectacular eaters, as they do go on fasts at times (they are still better than G. Porteri). You can't go wrong with one of these curious little gems.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

SpiderSling2017

Arachnopeon
Excellent choice (I am not just saying this because this is my favorite species) if you are one who does not have the patience for waiting for a small sling to grow (which takes a while), then I would suggest an adult, but, if that is no problem then go for a sling. I have two of these. Bought them both in October and the sling has yet to molt for me. My female is a typical E. Sp. Red, she has not kicked once. Not many do this anymore, but I have found the old fashioned pill vile is pretty spacious for slings since they are very tiny. they aren't the most spectacular eaters, as they do go on fasts at times (they are still better than G. Porteri). You can't go wrong with one of these curious little gems.
I'm fine with patience and slow growing, it gives me time to get more experience with Ts and let's me save up a bit :)

So far Sp red has to be my favourite, from what I've read and seen on videos, they are pretty affectionate for a spider lol

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm fine with patience and slow growing, it gives me time to get more experience with Ts and let's me save up a bit :)

So far Sp red has to be my favourite, from what I've read and seen on videos, they are pretty affectionate for a spider lol
I understand your meaning, but they aren't affectionate. For unknown reasons they are extremely human tolerant. Another interesting behavior of this locality, is when you take off the lid, they come walking up the walls rather soon. So DO NOT turn your back on one, as you may lose it.

Give the sling some cork bark to use in addition to your substrate.

Males may mature as soon as 1 yr.

SpiderSling2017

Arachnopeon
I understand your meaning, but they aren't affectionate. For unknown reasons they are extremely human tolerant. Another interesting behavior of this locality, is when you take off the lid, they come walking up the walls rather soon. So DO NOT turn your back on one, as you may lose it.

Give the sling some cork bark to use in addition to your substrate.

Males may mature as soon as 1 yr.
I used the term affectionate to describe their tolerance to humans, and I'm fully aware of their tendency to get out when they can.

What pot size would you recommend for a sling?

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Another interesting behavior of this locality, is when you take off the lid, they come walking up the walls rather soon. So DO NOT turn your back on one, as you may lose it.
Tell me about it, lol. I'm watering my tarantula containers last night because my furnace is a great big dryer. My E sp Red container is last. She's 2" and she wants to go on a walk about. I'm digging out the bottle cap that was buried with one hand and watching her walk all over my other hand and arm. She was such a distraction, I finally put her in a big rubbermaid tub I store loose coco fiber in so I could accomplish a simple task that was taking forever.
She's a great T, that is one of my favorites.

Crowbi

Arachnopeon
Don't start with a sling if you're an anxious helicopter T parent, like me...

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Anxious helicopter parent! As in, anxious about my kids (tarantulas in this case) and overbearingly protective.
That will change once you're a bit longer in the hobby and have some more species and experience. Once you've got the enlightened awareness that spiders are better in spidering than you are, it will be better ;)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
@OP,
I'd go for a juvi or even adult as a first T and of this species. The waiting game for feeding, molts and growing can be a bit stressing if it is your first, especially if you are the hover-type parent ;)

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Sometimes being a AHP is not a bad thing.Slings tend to require your attention often,and keeps you in the game,
always involved in arachnoculture.Having a spider that dosent need your attention but once a week,can lead,IMO,
to taking them for granted.Throw in the dubia,fill water bowl,see ya next week.
Slings are fun I think,if you understand that a few wont make it.
And you grow with them,experiance wise,and they grow on you as you bring them to adulthood.
This is a long commitment hobby.