Sling on His BELLY with Legs up in the air??!! Not molting

Tatarita

Arachnosquire
Can someone tell me if there may be something wrong with my sling. He is on his belly and his legs are all up in the air! He's been like that for a while and no, he is not on his back molting.

Does anyone know what this could be?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
He could be molting upright. Does he move/twitch?
Please post pictures.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
+1 to both above. Moulting upright is not uncommon. However, we need photos to understand better what is the problem.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I honestly can't even picture what you're talking about... pictures, or we can't really help.

Tatarita

Arachnosquire
Ok, here is a pic where he's on his belly with his legs up in the air- so he looks inverted. The strangest thing is later he went on his back, so obviously i thought he was molting- which is what the second picture is. I thought this was strange since he just ate a cricket yesterday.

Two hours later, I go see how this 'molt' is going and he was sitting on the side of the enclosure as if he'd finished molting. So i opened the lid to get the molt, but there was none. He didn't molt. Is this some kind of false molt or something? Or maybe a tantrum, jk. o_O

Attachments

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Ok, here is a pic where he's on his belly with his legs up in the air- so he looks inverted. The strangest thing is later he went on his back, so obviously i thought he was molting- which is what the second picture is. I thought this was strange since he just ate a cricket yesterday.

Two hours later, I go see how this 'molt' is going and he was sitting on the side of the enclosure as if he'd finished molting. So i opened the lid to get the molt, but there was none. He didn't molt. Is this some kind of false molt or something? Or maybe a tantrum, jk. o_O
It looks to be premoult and it looks like some attempt of moulting. If it cant manage to molt at that size then there isnt much hope. Some slings will still eat right before moult. Larger specimens usually have a longer fasting period. I dont know what you may be able to do besides giving access to water and hope for the best. :(

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Is it stuck in the exuviae? Is there signs of it partially (i think correct word) coming out of the old skin?

Tatarita

Arachnosquire
No, he is completely intact & looks perfectly fine. He's walked around a bit & now is in a normal position, instead of inverted with his legs up, haha. The only thing I can think of is perhaps he got scared because I added a little sphagnum moss & misted that half of his enclosure, and no I didn't get water on him- as he was on the other side. I just got him this week and when i first got him, he was nervous, walking around with his butt in the air, which I figured its normal since he's in a new environment.

Could this be that he abandoned his molt? (I don't know much about it & don't know what the process is, but I've read they can do that)

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

That looks like a mini threat posture in the first. The second looks like it's rolling over...

Can you take any better pictures?

DeTwan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow, that is something I have never seen a T do. Definitely unusual...

Tatarita

Arachnosquire
Here's another pic I took when he moved to the corner & assumed his little flight position again. It looks like he's resting his legs against the side but he's not.

I thought perhaps it was a threat posture also because he ran around scared when I opened the lid & then his little legs all flew up, he would walk a little more & his little legs flew up again. It was a little while later that he went on his back and actually stayed in that position for a while but he did not molt. Maybe he felt very scared or had a little tantrum :anxious: :arghh:

What worried me was that he would walk and suddenly his little legs would fly up & he would stay in that position, he would walk again & then his legs would fly up again. Then I noticed him on his back for a while & he gets up later with no molt :bucktooth:

Poor little thing, perhaps the stress of a new environment. He had me worried for a while, but I'm relieved now because he's back to normal.

Attachments

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here's another pic I took when he moved to the corner & assumed his little flight position again. It looks like he's resting his legs against the side but he's not.

I thought perhaps it was a threat posture also because he ran around scared when I opened the lid & then his little legs all flew up, he would walk a little more & his little legs flew up again. It was a little while later that he went on his back and actually stayed in that position for a while but he did not molt. Maybe he felt very scared or had a little tantrum :anxious: :arghh:

What worried me was that he would walk and suddenly his little legs would fly up & he would stay in that position, he would walk again & then his legs would fly up again. Then I noticed him on his back for a while & he gets up later with no molt :bucktooth:

Poor little thing, perhaps the stress of a new environment. He had me worried for a while, but I'm relieved now because he's back to normal.
Huh, that is interesting. I've never seen this...

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
my N incei sling had DKS (yes i know its not real blah blah) and when i opened the cage it contorted itself in position like that and didnt move. i thought it was going to die for sure but i placed it in a icu and it molted a few days later and was fine. its been almost 3 months and its molted again and is doing great. just leave yours alone with water and hope for the best.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
If he has erratic movements and seems he cant control his legs then it sounds as though it could be 'DKS' related. I use that term lightly. Check the sticky threads at the top of the Tarantula questions and discussions forums.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
@Tatarita What species is your tarantula? Your last post sounds like it was threatposturing at you for disturbing. Not a typical first sling species behaviour...

14pokies

Arachnoprince
From the looks of the pic he was trying to molt upright.. As others have stated keep disturbances to a minimum and hope for the best..

Tatarita

Arachnosquire
That DKS thing has me worried now :( I hope my baby doesnt have that. I'm very careful about only cleaning/wiping around them with a damp towel with water to remove dust- no chemicals. I only use natural/organic things to clean my home also.

Well, he looks fine now. He's actually sleeping/hiding on the moist sphagnum moss I added the other day. I'm starting to really think he just frieked out big time & perhaps felt petrified with fear & went into that position, since that's what seemed to trigger it. When he arrived & I transferred him to his new enclosure, he was very nervous.

I think the best thing i can do is just leave him alone to settle down & keep an eye on him. Only time I need to go in is to mist & feed anyway, but no need for that anytime soon. Thank you all for your help & suggestions.