Sling not growing

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have 7 G. Rosea slings, All but 2 have grown at normal growth rates. I have 2 that are slowly falling behind. One of which seems to be stuck at 3/4 ". While the others are near 3". It just molted last night and it hasn't grown a bit.
Has anyone had this happen and what can I do if anything. It eats regularly, Just isn't growing. And at over 2 years I think it should be a little bigger. I have another thats small but it does show a little growth after molts. This one almost looks like it shrunk on this molt.

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nothing you can really do they grow then they grow if they don't then they don't

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They are all individuals and so have individual growth rates. They'll get there :) Gender can also have something to do with growth rate. But Grammy's and Brachy's do everything slowly :D

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Maybe its a boy. Who knows. I know at the rate the others will be adult and this one still little. Maybe I could start a new breed of pygmy's.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have 7 G. Rosea slings, All but 2 have grown at normal growth rates. I have 2 that are slowly falling behind. One of which seems to be stuck at 3/4 ". While the others are near 3". It just molted last night and it hasn't grown a bit.
Has anyone had this happen and what can I do if anything. It eats regularly, Just isn't growing. And at over 2 years I think it should be a little bigger. I have another thats small but it does show a little growth after molts. This one almost looks like it shrunk on this molt.
some just take longer than others but I can tell you one thing you are a very patient person to have seven G roseas regardless of the stage they are in.

because once i found out that these guys grow as slow as rocks i had to get a species change into my collection. i refuse to have have any slow growing Ts in my collection lol. if I do get any I only want G pulcher because people say their jet black colors are really nice and Grammostola aureostriata because people say these guys have a personality all their own and aren't as *boring* and rock-like, like roseas.

What you can do is boost the heat up. if you keep your tarantulas in a closet or in a room you can put a heater in there and keep it at 8-90 degrees all the time. So the hotter is it is the more food they will eat and faster they will grow. however, because they are rose hairs this faster growth rate isnt gonnna be too much of a big boost lol.

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
don't feel bad, I have a rosie that is pushing 4 years old and just hit 2" this last molt. It actualy sounds like the other 5 are the ones with "abnormal growth rates".

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, from what I have seen in other posts and watching these grow from eggs I think growth rates are just a guess. The one before this one that molted gained almost 1/2". Which also I think is probably a bit unusual for a rosea. They all came from the same sack and have had the same conditions which is why I'm a bit confused on such a drastic difference.
I do have a pantry which holds our water heater. It's always about 90 in there and a little damp. I may stick the 2 smaller ones in there for a while and see if it makes a difference. I dont think it can hurt anything to try it.
I like rosea's but I am a little bored with them. I purchased a h. gigas and was shocked at how fast it grew compared to these guys. I do plan on purchasing some that grow a little faster in the future.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn't worry about your lil guys. I have a very small N Chromatus that hasn't really grown at all or molted in the last 3 months nearly. I believe they can also grow fast, but mine isn't. It is however winter here and I leave my temps at around 20 C. Also hasn't eaten much and hides underneath all the subs. So all I do is hold the container up & make sure he's still alive. Also had another T molt and become smaller. Now has grown just very slighty bigger than what he was. Molted over a month ago.
Well good luck with yours.

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I had sibling E. vulpinus slings that grew at markedly different speeds. One is 1.25" and the other is 3" The 3" is female, and I don't have a microscope so I can't yet sex the other. But I do know I have them under the same temps, and same feeding conditions. One simply does not molt as often as the other.

So long as both of yours are healthy, I wouldn't worry too much about it. :)

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They are all eating well and healthy but you know how it is. You worry over everything with slings. each and every molt. Got one left to molt and it will all be over till next time. Cant wait to see this one. Its the largest of the bunch and the craziest. It tries to eat anything that moves. Including me.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thought I would add a pic. A little easier to see the difference in these two. the small one has just molted. The other is ready but hasn't yet. I know its a lot easier to see the difference than trying to go by a description.

Last edited:

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i can hardly wait for my rosie to grow up! she's at 1" now and molted like a week ago.