Sling molting and feeding.

Sharkbot Jones

Arachnopeon
Hey there folks, so I was wondering how often slings molt? Mine is half and inch right now. Also how many molts do you think until I can stop feeding it prekilled.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Everything you're asking is highly variable as molt frequency or growth in this case is highly variable as it's based on your care (temps/feeding). As for how long until it can take down live prey is dependent on what size feeder you give it and the size of the specimen itself. At 1/2'' it can probably take on some small red runner nymphs. Also you didn't specify the species as some species may have a better or worse appetite/feeding response than others.

cold blood

Staff member
It depends on many factors...species, temps, food availability...even then there is a variation in individuals of the same species, kept in the same conditions.

Likewise, the amount of growth per molt will not be consistent across individuals, so how many molts till it eats live is not something that will be a known.

Sorry if it doesnt answer what you wanted, but your questions just cannot be difinitively answered.

If we knew the species and temps its kept at, we may be able to give a ball park estimate on basic growth rates, but it wouldnt be a set in stone fact as much as an educated guess.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I was wondering how often slings molt?
Depends on the species and a myriad of other factors so there's no definitive answer for this. A faster growing species might moult once a month, a slower growing species might moult every 4-6 months.

Also how many molts do you think until I can stop feeding it prekilled.
Depends on the individual and size of the feeders used, I've had 1/4" slings take tiny mealworms/pinhead lats live. Generally speaking, if you use appropriately sized prey they should reliably take live at around 3/4" - 1" IME.