Sling molding

DiStUrBeD-OnE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is it just me or do your slings keepers always mold up really fast?
Its not water.. its cricket parts, but ALL my T's leave cricket parts and they never mold.. only slings.. They have air ventilation and everything, they just always mold.. Any ideas?

Ian

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hmm, not sure disturbed,

Im no scientist or T expert - but maybe the smaller containers allow mould to grow easier due to ventilation, as in it is a smaller enclosure so there is less air travelling through it?

Like I said im no scientist - its just a thought.

Plus, just make sure you pick out any bits left over from the T's supper.

Stu.

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Is the mold in the substrate or on something else? What type of substrate are you using? I use the shredded coconut and really haven't had much problem with my sling containers having mold. Do you have anything else in the container as a hide?

DiStUrBeD-OnE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Using Peat moss for substrate, And the molds on the substrate. Theirs no room in the vials for a hide.. Maybe i could put a small rock if its needed..

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey there

I know some people believe fully that peat molds really quick.. i dont necessarily find that, but it could be just as stu says..

with slings, i take a bit of dry peat and they can make their own hide, i don't put rocks inthere..

I just take some slightly damp sphagnum (you can use whatever) and just let it fall in the container.. sphagnum is great for little hides (the Ts can move it around however they want to).

or, with a couple of my bigger slings, i'll take a smaller vial and bury it into the ground on a downward slant, and then i'll cover it with substrate, so the opening is all you can see -- its like a makshift burrow with walls :)

there's alot of different ideas for hides.
check this thread out: alot of people posted some REALLY good ideas on substrate/homes/food:

http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8987&highlight=sling

good luck disturbed!

peace
dave

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
here's one of the infamous "flame knee" slings ;P :)

later
dave

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
what do u do with Aboreal slings? I am getting an Avic. Versicolor and am wondering if it will use a burrow as a sling? or should I just not put anything in with it and just let it web like they would as adults?

peace

TheDOn

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hey..

personally i treat my avics as little adults.. i don't give them a makeshift burrow, i just put a little half-bark-hide up on the wall (tall-wise) or a nice big rock on a slant towards the top of the cage.. that way if they want to be terrestrial they can, but usually they start to web up!

I also but a little cork bark so they can attach their web.
good luck man! :)

peace

dave

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
ok cool... now I just need to find a piece of wood that is small enough to fit in the plastic container I plan on putting it in

peace

TheDon

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave
here's one of the infamous "flame knee" slings ;P :)

later
dave
That's a cute sling. Mine are smaller than that still, but then I don't feed them very often (they refuse food most of the time anyway). I may be dead by the time they're mature.

Steve

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i hear you steve, mine have eaten once so far...

are you going to the Midwest T- Party next weekend?
peace
dave

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
The versicolor that I am getting I was told will be 1/2" so its pretty tiny.

TheDon

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Its amazing that you can get a sling that is 1/4" that will grow to be a 4 to 9+ inches of predator depending on the species. :eek:

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave

are you going to the Midwest T- Party next weekend?
peace
dave
Yep, I should be able to.

Steve

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
ya it is pretty crazy... i have heard of 1/8" slings before and I think the were Brazilian Salmon Pink Birdeaters and they get big

TheDon