Sling Missing Entire Leg Help?

CEOAirsoft

Arachnopeon
So I went and bought an A. Genic from a dealer and he figured out it was my birthday just through casual talk. So because it was my birthday he just decided to give me a baby Pink Toe as a gift. I inspected my A. Genic to make sure it was good but because we were on our way out and because it was free I didn't even think to analyze the T. Once I got home I notice it was walking funny and found out it was missing it's whole back leg. Do you think it will live?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Certainly, yeah. Give it two or three molts and the leg will be back to normal. Luckily, these animals are able to regenerate lost limbs. Until then, it'll just have to make due with seven legs. I'm sure it'll manage :p

DeanK

Arachnosquire
Should be fine as long as it's not "bleeding". It should grow back in a molt or 2.

CEOAirsoft

Arachnopeon
Certainly, yeah. Give it two or three molts and the leg will be back to normal. Luckily, these animals are able to regenerate lost limbs. Until then, it'll just have to make due with seven legs. I'm sure it'll manage :p
He's walking very sluggishly though.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Ohh yes if they really want to. But funny enough never when you need to rehouse them, they are stubborn as hell and non moving :D
Tell me about it. Last time I tried bumping mine with a straw, it started to web the straw :shifty:

louise f

Arachnoangel
Tell me about it. Last time I tried bumping mine with a straw, it started to web the straw :shifty:
The worst part with avics is when you need to ship off 50 slings and all of them are getting out before you get the lid on, pretty :bored: and a pain in the ass. :D

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
He's walking very sluggishly though.
A pic of the T from above would help. Sluggish itself is not a concern per se, but the size of its abdomen is important. You don't want a slender Avic.

In my experience, avics aren't exactly known for moving like the wind! Although @viper69 may have some light to shed in that regard.
Oh Ye of little faith! Clearly you haven't seen my geroldi, huriana or minatrix move like the wind from a hurricane.

Just like there's Low-Energy Jeb, you must own the Low Energy Pink Toe :p

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'm alright with low energy, but that? Come on, at least act like you're scared of me. Even my B. emilia kicks hair if I bother her too much.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm alright with low energy, but that? Come on, at least act like you're scared of me. Even my B. emilia kicks hair if I bother her too much.
Man, the fact that it started to web, had me laughing. You are there to serve the whims of your Pink Toe hah. The issue w/Pink Toes is you can never predict when they will zip off or meander. Nor can you predict what will set them off. That's why as human tolerant as they, I don't recommend people hold them. One moment it's here, the next moment it leaped to its death.

Contrast that with many other species we are familiar with, and at the very least you know they are going to race around like a bat out of hell.

It's easy to get disillusioned w/Pink Toes. They are incredibly fast when they choose to be. I've seen mine do amazing things in a less than a blink of an eye. I wouldn't trust my A. minatrix to "hang out" with me at all. The only time she leaves her container is when she outsmarts me and takes a surprise RUN out of the container, realizes she's out in the open, and runs right back in. In those few times, I'm fortunate she did not keep running etc.

I'm always impressed with how nimble all tarantulas are.

CEOAirsoft

Arachnopeon
A pic of the T from above would help. Sluggish itself is not a concern per se, but the size of its abdomen is important. You don't want a slender Avic.

Oh Ye of little faith! Clearly you haven't seen my geroldi, huriana or minatrix move like the wind from a hurricane.

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Two things

1. The abdomen looks fine.

2. I hope that's not how you are keeping it?

cold blood

Staff member
Resized_20160924_191244.jpg
It's not bleeding so that's good.
Ts can shut off flow to damaged or severed legs, bleeding to death isn't really a concern.

It needs something to climb on. I'd suggest moving it to a large condiment cup or a 16oz deli cup, theyre easier to ventilate and more room means more options to web and get comfy.

One leg missing isn't a worry, I have an A. avic sling that had a tough molt, its got 2 legs (One of the few I've named...he's johnny 2 legs)...and this t is pre-molt! No worries even missing 5 legs.....even less of a worry with slings as they molt more frequently, and therefore regenerate those limbs sooner.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
i have a slew of obt slings currently and one of them is scrambling aorund on 6 legs currently. i named him flik after the ant from a bugs life, since he looks like an ant right now :D

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
What should I change? I need guidance. lol
you need ventilation around the sides. two or three rows around the upper side should be enough. you also need some plastic plant of some kind for the sling to web up. personally, i'd rehouse the spider into a 16oz deli cup with the changes i just mentioned. also, keep the substrate mainly dry with a bottle cap for a water dish. this genus is very sensitive to stuffy conditions.