Sling is walking in death curl

khuno

Arachnopeon
My Aphonopelma chalcodes sling is walking in a death curl and I’ve never seen him do that, he usually just runs around. I’m really not sure what to do, need help.

(very sorry video on this website wouldn’t work) image.jpg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I don’t keep this particular species, but some with similar requirements. Possible the sub is too wet and it’s not liking it. You don’t need to mist the side of the enclosure either. Looks like you have wet spots throughout and on the bark.

With my other species (similar) I wet one area of the substraight (if I don’t have a water dish) and keep the rest dry.

justanotherTkeeper

Arachnosquire
Your sling's condition may be a result of it's enclosure. This is a desert tarantula, it needs dry substrate with a water dish or one wet corner. Your enclosure is way too wet and needs lots of ventilation holes.

khuno

Arachnopeon
I don’t keep this particular species, but some with similar requirements. Possible the sub is too wet and it’s not liking it. You don’t need to mist the side of the enclosure either. Looks like you have wet spots throughout and on the bark.

With my other species (similar) I wet one area of the substraight (if I don’t have a water dish) and keep the rest dry.
I never mist the container (until now) because I thought he might be dehydrated. But a while ago I put him in a ICU and his legs uncurled and he's been walking around funnily. For now, he seems to be recovering.

Arachnoenthusiast

Arachnoknight
Does that enclosure have any ventilation? Couldn't see any from the photo. Stuffy enclosures will kill them

khuno

Arachnopeon
Your sling's condition may be a result of it's enclosure. This is a desert tarantula, it needs dry substrate with a water dish or one wet corner. Your enclosure is way too wet and needs lots of ventilation holes.
Thank you for the reply, I didn't mist until I found him curled up because that usually indicates dehydration. He's in the ICU at the moment and is much better with legs uncurled and spread out.

khuno

Arachnopeon
Does that enclosure have any ventilation? Couldn't see any from the photo. Stuffy enclosures will kill them
There's a lot of top veneration, but no cross ventilation. The enclosure is about 2 inches plus the substrate, so he's near the top.

Arachnoenthusiast

Arachnoknight
There's a lot of top veneration, but no cross ventilation. The enclosure is about 2 inches plus the substrate, so he's near the top.
Personally I'd add some cross ventilation. It won't hurt. Hope all goes well

Craig73

Arachnoangel
You Should stop with the icu, it’s not helping. If it’s in an icu at the moment, I would take the regular enclosure, dump the sub, put ventilation holes in the side, add sub back Press it down but not so compact that it’s rock hard) , start a burrow for it under the cork bark, add a water dish or wet one corner, add T and leave it alone.

khuno

Arachnopeon
You Should stop with the icu, it’s not helping. If it’s in an icu at the moment, I would take the regular enclosure, dump the sub, put ventilation holes in the side, add sub back Press it down but not so compact that it’s rock hard) , start a burrow for it under the cork bark, add a water dish or wet one corner, add T and leave it alone.
IMG_6663.JPG Thank you !! added everything in your list. The 'water dish' was a usb protector.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
View attachment 364027 Thank you !! added everything in your list. The 'water dish' was a usb protector.
Great move, I would try to push the sling towards the water dish to drink. Based on the movements and how you describe your care, it appears to be dehydrated so placing him on the water dish to get him to drink should be prioritized. If it doesn't drink then keep an eye on the sling. A. chalcodes slings are very easy to care for and are by far some of the easiest slings I've ever kept in my experience.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Just keep the water dish full, you can overflow it a little if you want. Let him settle in and try a prekilled feeder on the next feeding; in addition to the water provided it’ll get water from its pray too. Some quiet time should help it settle in hopefully.

khuno

Arachnopeon
Great move, I would try to push the sling towards the water dish to drink. Based on the movements and how you describe your care, it appears to be dehydrated so placing him on the water dish to get him to drink should be prioritized. If it doesn't drink then keep an eye on the sling. A. chalcodes slings are very easy to care for and are by far some of the easiest slings I've ever kept in my experience.
He was crawling around on the hide when I checked on him, i'm so thankful for everyone's advice!