Sling is curled up...but not dead?

pissybaboon

Arachnopeon
Okay, so I'm really confused. I have a G. Pulchripes sling that is all curled up, but not dead. His two sacmates are fine. Any ideas? I really hope he doesn't die. If he did, I have NO idea why. He's on dry coco fiber in a small container just like they are. I feed him 2-3 times a week. I don't ever touch or hold them. I'm just SUPER confused.

If you need a picture I'll take one. I just figure everybody knows what I'm talking about.
-Haden

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Pictures are always appreciated :)
It is on dry sub? Does it has a waterdish? Curling can indicate dehydration, slings are more vulnerable to dehydration because they lack the waxy coating on their exoskeleton that juvies and adults have.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
A water dish should be added and substrate slightly moistened. Pic would also help.
How big is it?

pissybaboon

Arachnopeon
Right. Didn't even think about that. The container is too small for a water dish. Sling is 1/4in. I just moistened the substrate and a big bead of water fell in front of him. He went right to it. Maybe he IS dehydrated. Didn't know slings were more vulnerable. I also sprayed his sacmates cages and they also went right to it. God I'm such a newb.

Attachments

pissybaboon

Arachnopeon
It's not, but the slings themselves would most likely drown in the cap, don't you think?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Right. Didn't even think about that. The container is too small for a water dish. Sling is 1/4in. I just moistened the substrate and a big bead of water fell in front of him. He went right to it. Maybe he IS dehydrated. Didn't know slings were more vulnerable. I also sprayed his sacmates cages and they also went right to it. God I'm such a newb.
Good thing you sought help :)
Everyone makes mistakes. I'd pour some more water on the sub, it still looks a bit dry. You can moisten half and switch sides.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I don't think that container is to small for a bottlecap. Or a hide.
This. You can easily put a water dish in there and something small like a leaf for a hide. After that they are pretty easy to keep.

pissybaboon

Arachnopeon
Oh. Right. Duh. Somebody told me they'd drown. But yes, thank you guys so much for your help. I'll put a cap in tonight but moisten one half of the substrate for now.

cold blood

Staff member
1/4 inch. They're pretty small.
you will have an easier time housing them in a much much smaller enclosure. At that size a condiment cup is far better....just keep part of the sub damp.
They will grow faster in a smaller enclosure.

These are all pulchripes..ive raised hundreds and experimented with the effects of enclosure size....they literally always grow significantly slower in larger enclosures like you are using.

pissybaboon

Arachnopeon
you will have an easier time housing them in a much much smaller enclosure. At that size a condiment cup is far better....just keep part of the sub damp.
They will grow faster in a smaller enclosure.

These are all pulchripes..ive raised hundreds and experimented with the effects of enclosure size....they literally always grow significantly slower in larger enclosures like you are using.
Oh wow...then yeah I should do that. Any idea where I could get the cups cheap?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It looks like you're using a Really Useful Box. Everyone knows how much I love those enclosures, but they do not work for slings. It has nothing to do with size - they can easily escape through the gap between the lid and the base. Just a heads up.

pissybaboon

Arachnopeon
It looks like you're using a Really Useful Box. Everyone knows how much I love those enclosures, but they do not work for slings. It has nothing to do with size - they can easily escape through the gap between the lid and the base. Just a heads up.
Oh wow. Thank you for the heads up. I'll switch them over asap.

cold blood

Staff member
Oh wow...then yeah I should do that. Any idea where I could get the cups cheap?
any restaurant will give them to you...theyre the size you might put ketchup in. I think most of mine came from 5 guys or Culvers.