Sling in Premolt?

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey everyone, Thursday is feeding day for my Ts and I offered my .75 inch or so G. rosea sling a small cricket(half the T's size roughly). An hour and change has passed and nothing, also seems like the T is trying to climb up on the wall of it's enclosure when the cricket moves around on the floor, obviously it's not hungry as I observe many moments where the cricket was right under the Ts chelicerae, I also noticed light webbing in it's enclosure. Any signs of what's going on? I'm thinking it's either not hungry as it's carapace is adequate in size or it's in premolt.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's premolt. The first move before a molt is the disinterest in food. before long raise the humidity a little and that will help trigger a molt.

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Def. a premolt. Enjoy and as cheetah said raise the humidity slightly

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmmm ok Jeremy, I know the disinterest in food is one but I wasn't too sure about the webbing, is the humidity needed? I'm afraid those water droplets won't dry up and cause another mold issue which required me to rehouse the rosea last week. Thanks for the quick reply. :D It's in a thornton vial, can 1-2 droplets on the wall be enough to trigger it?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
One short mist from a water bottle on the side would be good.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Definitely get that cricket outta there. I'm still traumatized by that one thread we had in the last couple weeks where some guy's slings were eaten alive by crickets. :eek:

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Definitely get that cricket outta there. I'm still traumatized by that one thread we had in the last couple weeks where some guy's slings were eaten alive by crickets. :eek:
It's been out LONG time, around 2pm i took it out as I noticed it would of been lunch already if the T was hungry and yep MS, that thread scared me...quick question, when a T goes to molt they fall on their back naturally? I see mine is still near the wall of the enclosure and it didn't climb up on it, it should fall back and start once it's ready I presume. Also, i now wish i have a spray bottle to mist the side...:eek:

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey ANDO! yeah...G.Rosea's web like crazy when they are in pre-molt. i asked the same question awhile ago. and since your sling is small...thats why there isnt a whoooole lot of silk..but still some. mine took FOREVER to finally flip on her back and molt.

p.s. my big orange teddy bear says hi!

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey ANDO! yeah...G.Rosea's web like crazy when they are in pre-molt. i asked the same question awhile ago. and since your sling is small...thats why there isnt a whoooole lot of silk..but still some. mine took FOREVER to finally flip on her back and molt.

p.s. my big orange teddy bear says hi!

Hey GB04, thanks for the incite bro! Yep, barely any webbing, last week I had a tiny mold outbreak and yesterday I saw some fine stringish looking object on the vial wall, I almost panicked then i noticed it was just silk, it also didn't burrow in it's new home yet and I transfered it last week but I think that's because of the premolt as it took a break from construction. Hello to your orange teddy bear as well! :D

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's premolt. The first move before a molt is the disinterest in food. before long raise the humidity a little and that will help trigger a molt.
The misting will not aid in the molt nor will it trigger it. The only important factor for the success of failure of a molt is internal hydration.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am not sure if it is my post you are referring to but I have had small slings, G. rosea in fact, get munched by crickets. I lost two slings and on survived after losing two legs to the cricket. This happened to me about two years ago and since then I smash the heads of any crickets fed to slings 3/4 inch or smaller. I do know that I had recently posted this.