Sling hiding, feeding

Bluelight

Arachnopeon
At the moment my petstore seem to have started having big crickets (they grow), and I still got a tiny sling, so I have been feeding it legs. Ive crushed the head of a cricket, fed it to my LP sling, which eats them asap, and the hopper legs to my tiny H. columbia sp. Big.
When is it time to start dig out the hapalopus or do they go into long term hiding? Not seen it for 2-3 months, and I start wonder if it failed a molt or something..

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Are the legs still being eaten? Then everything is absolutely fine.

For everything else, we would need more information such as:
How big is your sling?
How's the setup? Please provide a picture of the enclosure and the sling, if possible.

Usually, it's not a problem when they bury themselves away for a few months as long as all other requirements are met. Don't dig them out. They know how to tarantula. ;)
And read this, it might help: https://tomsbigspiders.com/2015/08/10/tarantula-buried-itself/

Last edited:

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
At the moment my petstore seem to have started having big crickets (they grow), and I still got a tiny sling, so I have been feeding it legs. Ive crushed the head of a cricket, fed it to my LP sling, which eats them asap, and the hopper legs to my tiny H. columbia sp. Big.
When is it time to start dig out the hapalopus or do they go into long term hiding? Not seen it for 2-3 months, and I start wonder if it failed a molt or something..
If you are putting small items of food in the enclosure and those items are being moved, then...its alive.

Are the legs still being eaten? Then everything is absolutely fine.

For everything else, we would need more information such as:
How big is your sling?
How's the setup? Please provide a picture of the enclosure and the sling, if possible.

Usually, it's not a problem when they bury themselves away for a few months as long as all other requirements are met. Don't dig them out. They know how to tarantula. ;)
And read this, it might help: https://tomsbigspiders.com/2015/08/10/tarantula-buried-itself/
Great advice...awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:

DARTH ARACHNUS

Arachnopeon
Arachnosupporter
My P Sazimai and H Maculata slings have been ghosts for nearly 2 months I know they are active in there from the odd prey vanishing just a case of waiting if they show they show. If the setup is right and your not disturbing it eventually it will surface. I have a couple of species that are essentially "pet holes" by nature I see them every few weeks to a few months but it's always a treat when I do catch a glimpse lol

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
I'd keep feeding the Hapalopus once a week and check if its eating. It should eat within a week or two if its a tiny sling unless its in premolt.