Sling Food

CaiusV

Arachnopeon
Just got a Vagans sling. .25 inch. Having a devil of a time finding food for it~ What do you guys think of feeding it gnats I've ripped the wings off of? At 1/4 inch, pinheads are too big, and if I'm to be dismembering insects to feed this teeny red rump, I'd rather tear wings and give it the satisfaction of live prey than to give it scrounge food of dead parts, unless this is a stupid way of thinking? Any suggestions for a Vagans sling this small?

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I would just stick with prekilled prey and for really small slings, a cricket drumstick (one of the back legs of the cricket. Gnats are too risky in my opinion.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Ts will scavenge just fine so I wouldn't worry about it and just feed prekill. Prekill the food and cut off what you need if it's way too big. I have 5 small slings right now I feed with 1 med dubia roach cut 5 ways.

B.vagans are easy to care for. Keep the substrate lightly moist when they are that small. Good luck.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Gnats have very little nutritional value. Adult cricket leg or a small pre-killed (freezer works nicely) cricket left for them to scavenge is the best option.

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
Just got a Vagans sling. .25 inch. Having a devil of a time finding food for it~ What do you guys think of feeding it gnats I've ripped the wings off of? At 1/4 inch, pinheads are too big, and if I'm to be dismembering insects to feed this teeny red rump, I'd rather tear wings and give it the satisfaction of live prey than to give it scrounge food of dead parts, unless this is a stupid way of thinking? Any suggestions for a Vagans sling this small?
I have 2 Vagans slings that size currently. They do pretty good with cricket legs and cut up meal worms. Gnats and fruitflies are not the best food, nutrition wise.. although to be honest, I'm not exactly sure what is lacking.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Don't bother with the gnats, pre-killed/dismembered pinheads are fine, I don't feed live prey to slings until they hit 1".