Sling feeding

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
My sling's carapace is getting big. It definitely likes to eat. However it stays in it's burrow. My question is regarding feeding. If the baby crickets crawl into it's burrow, does it feel obligated to eat/ kill it?

Is there any way to prevent this, besides pre killing the cricket?

Is this something I should worry about ? I can see it inside it's burrow, so I know it's not currently molting.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My sling's carapace is getting big. It definitely likes to eat. However it stays in it's burrow. My question is regarding feeding. If the baby crickets crawl into it's burrow, does it feel obligated to eat/ kill it?

Is this something I should worry about ? I can see it inside it's burrow, so I know it's not currently molting.
You mean its abdomen is getting big. Abdomen is flexible, not the carapace. You only see larger carapace after a moult. A goid way is to use dead feeder if you are not sure if the tarantula is about to moult. Uf abdomen is plump, you can hold off feeding until it moults

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
You mean its abdomen is getting big. Abdomen is flexible, not the carapace. You only see larger carapace after a moult. A goid way is to use dead feeder if you are not sure if the tarantula is about to moult. Uf abdomen is plump, you can hold off feeding until it moults
Thanks so much for the reply. I did mean abdomen! It is definitely very plump! Maybe in a few days I'll squish the head of a small cricket and leave it outside the burrow entrance.

Heres an image. Not the best quality

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Nope. One of mine had a cricket laying directly under it's leg so I couldn't get it out. It looked like they were cuddling LOL. Your idea of prekilling is good because it does make it difficult to get out if they climb down in the burrow, but the T doesn't want to eat it. This has happened to me too.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Heres an image. Not the best quality
That sling is very plump and probably in premoult because it seems totally dug down. I bet it will barricade its burrow soon. No, you dont need to feed it. Just keep the substrate moist

jaw6053

Arachnobaron

I have been pre-killing everything for my slings that small. That way I don't have to worry at all

cold blood

Staff member
Fat ts, even slings, dont need food constantly or even regularly offered, ts arent that kind of animal....at some point just stop feeding and wait for a molt.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
It is fat enough that I might just wait until after its next molt to feed again. Prekilling is good for slings so you don't have to monitor a live feeder.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Just stop feeding, it is plump enough to get it through its next moult.
For slings I just use prekilled or severely maimed feeders.They moult so often, I don't want to risk a feeder eating my newly moulted sling.