SLING ESCAPED! ADVICE?

jacobparker

Arachnopeon
Today I received 5 m. Balfouri slings (5/8 in) and set them up communally. I checked in on them an hour ago and counted 3. I saw one sitting near an opening in the enclosure. Unfortunately, I overlooked this opening and 2 slings escaped. i was able to find one underneath another enclosure. the other one remains missing. My apartment is small, but this T could be anywhere… I checked every piece of laundry inside and out, stripped the bed, moved the bed, moved my desk and checked underneath anything that it could crawl under. I will try to recruit a friend to help look tomorrow. I’m hoping it is alive and I will find soon. Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Only advice, keep searching!

look in small tight, dark spaces

jacobparker

Arachnopeon
Thank you. Tomorrow I’ll start my search In those likely places. I’m worried it will crawl up my nose tonight. My bed is right next to the enclosures lol!

Today I received 5 m. Balfouri slings (5/8 in) and set them up communally. I checked in on them an hour ago and counted 3. I saw one sitting near an opening in the enclosure. Unfortunately, I overlooked this opening and 2 slings escaped. i was able to find one underneath another enclosure. the other one remains missing. My apartment is small, but this T could be anywhere… I checked every piece of laundry inside and out, stripped the bed, moved the bed, moved my desk and checked underneath anything that it could crawl under. I will try to recruit a friend to help look tomorrow. I’m hoping it is alive and I will find soon. Any advice is appreciated, thank you.
I’m also thinking it could have entered an adjacent enclosure with a juve/sub adult c versicolor. Would have made for a quick snack

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Just look. Look at night with lights off to optimize results. Best of luck.

In zero regards to OP, just since we’re on the topic, it absolutely blows my mind the amount of people who post about losing slings. Kinda crazy how common it is tbh.

jacobparker

Arachnopeon
Just look. Look at night with lights off to optimize results. Best of luck.

In zero regards to OP, just since we’re on the topic, it absolutely blows my mind the amount of people who post about losing slings. Kinda crazy how common it is tbh.
Thanks man. Here was the enclosure. The top left ovalish hole is where the top hinges from. It has some play up and down. I didn’t realize this until I counted just the 3.

Attachments

Poonjab

Arachnoking
It happens man. I honestly might email the maker of those enclosures. Ever since their introduction to the market, the amount of escaped slings has skyrocketed. You’re not the first to lose one due to those enclosures, and won’t be the last sadly.

Tarantulafeets

Arachnobaron
Just a thought, probably didn't happen due to the amount of time this took place in, but could one have possibly eaten another?

But if it did escape, I agree with the info above, search in tight dark spaces, preferably at night. Try to find silk trails, although this would be very hard to find as the t is so small. Good luck!

Craig73

Arachnoangel
True, I was one of those people and it wasn’t my first T. Lost a .5” gbb through a small air hole that looked impossible to escape from. Found it over six feet away on the ceiling. I was shocked, it‘s a beam ceiling and traversed two beams…pretty big journey for a small sling.

Quickly learned on this site to pay attention to carapace size from there on out.

Credit to OP for sure, I can’t recall the last missing sling post someone actually was looking and not a deer in the headlights asking what they should do.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Fwiw balfouris have a tendency to disappear very quickly and rarely show themselves. How certain are you that they aren't burrowed?

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
If they're photophobic try looking in the dark with a red light. I use an LED headlamp, most of them have red lights nowadays.

jacobparker

Arachnopeon
Look for it everywhere. Not sure why you’re asking. There’s no secret to finding a lost T.
I asked because I know that other keepers have knowledge and experience that could be helpful. There’s already been good advice.

It happens man. I honestly might email the maker of those enclosures. Ever since their introduction to the market, the amount of escaped slings has skyrocketed. You’re not the first to lose one due to those enclosures, and won’t be the last sadly.
I’m still responsible for the escape. Thanks though. Trying not to beat myself up too much about it. I’ve been preparing this communal for awhile

Just a thought, probably didn't happen due to the amount of time this took place in, but could one have possibly eaten another?

But if it did escape, I agree with the info above, search in tight dark spaces, preferably at night. Try to find silk trails, although this would be very hard to find as the t is so small. Good luck!
Thanks man. that’s a good idea. These ts were fed before they were shipped and although possible, I doubt it was eaten by the other slings. it could have entered one of my versicolor enclosures which I’ve already searched. In that case, they probably would have eaten it immediately. Praying it doesn’t make its way into a neighbors apartment unit somehow…

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks man. that’s a good idea. These ts were fed before they were shipped and although possible, I doubt it was eaten by the other slings. it could have entered one of my versicolor enclosures which I’ve already searched. In that case, they probably would have eaten it immediately. Praying it doesn’t make its way into a neighbors apartment unit somehow…
good luck

jacobparker

Arachnopeon
True, I was one of those people and it wasn’t my first T. Lost a .5” gbb through a small air hole that looked impossible to escape from. Found it over six feet away on the ceiling. I was shocked, it‘s a beam ceiling and traversed two beams…pretty big journey for a small sling.

Quickly learned on this site to pay attention to carapace size from there on out.

Credit to OP for sure, I can’t recall the last missing sling post someone actually was looking and not a deer in the headlights asking what they should do.
Wow.. yes, I knew it wouldn’t be able to fit through one of the breather holes, but I didn’t take into consideration the moving parts of the enclosure may provide an escape opportunity. I’m glad you recovered yours! I was so relieved when I found the other escapee. it was beneath my versicolor enclosure. They are all within a larger climate controlled tank, but the front has air holes so it probably made its way out

Fwiw balfouris have a tendency to disappear very quickly and rarely show themselves. How certain are you that they aren't burrowed?
I combed through all of the substrate 3 times. It’s gone :( I was hopeful that was the case.

If they're photophobic try looking in the dark with a red light. I use an LED headlamp, most of them have red lights nowadays.
I do have a red light head lamp. That’s a great idea. I’ll try that tonight. Thank you!

Attachments

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Wow.. yes, I knew it wouldn’t be able to fit through one of the breather holes, but I didn’t take into consideration the moving parts of the enclosure may provide an escape opportunity. I’m glad you recovered yours! I was so relieved when I found the other escapee. it was beneath my versicolor enclosure. They are all within a larger climate controlled tank, but the front has air holes so it probably made its way out
Now that’s Shawshank Redemption right there, one heck of a prison breakout. 😆

jacobparker

Arachnopeon
Good news! Just got home and looked straight ahead. The escapee has been captured! 1A15508C-6B4A-4037-9AE0-69CA98D4F815.jpeg

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Glad to hear it was found all in one piece!