Sling enclosure

wyattherp

Arachnopeon
I'm getting ready to move my sling (approx 3/4") from the deli cup to a small enclosure. I just wanted to get some feedback on it. I put some fake leaves in for a hide and used the little cap from inside the milk spout for a water bowl. The substrate is moist. (not wet) peat moss. Feedback? Maybe more substrate?

Attachments

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I don't know how many holes you have in the lid but I'd add some more ventilation to the sides of the new enclosure. You really don't want the condensation to build up like that as stuffy enclosures are not good for most slings.

I would also provide bigger leaves or some corkbark for it to use as a hide. The plants in there is fine but don't provide good cover for the T to hide in IMO.

wyattherp

Arachnopeon
Yes it is a Grammostola Pulchripes. The condinsation was just after I put on the peat moss. I did drill a few more holes in there just in case. I put a little soda cap hide under the leaves as well.

Attachments

Arcana

Arachnopeon
I would add more ventilation holes. Otherwise I think that looks good, maybe a little bit more substrate would be a good idea. My slings have more substrate than airspace and they dig like crazy :)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Yes it is a Grammostola Pulchripes. The condinsation was just after I put on the peat moss. I did drill a few more holes in there just in case. I put a little soda cap hide under the leaves as well.
Ahh, I missed the cap hide as it was hidden. :)

Yeah, temp changes will mist it up as well. Just keep an eye on it so it doesn't get too stuffy.

Looks good. Good luck with your new T.

wyattherp

Arachnopeon
Ahh, I missed the cap hide as it was hidden. :)

Yeah, temp changes will mist it up as well. Just keep an eye on it so it doesn't get too stuffy.

Looks good. Good luck with your new T.
Thanks everyone, my hobby room runs about 60/70% humidity for the reptiles. Should I keep him in another room?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Thanks everyone, my hobby room runs about 60/70% humidity for the reptiles. Should I keep him in another room?
I wouldn't worry about trying for a specific humidity. Most Ts, if you provide them with water and keep their enclosure from being stuffy they are good. Trying to hit a target humidity is not needed and often leads to bad living conditions for your T.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'd still say that it needs way, way more ventilation. Like, triple the amount. A stuffy cage easily kills any tarantula. Unless you've put some holes in the top, add way more holes.

Otherwise, it looks good! If you'd like a more natural look for the hide, slap some hot glue on the hide and roll it in substrate.

cold blood

Staff member
I'm getting ready to move my sling (approx 3/4") from the deli cup to a small enclosure. I just wanted to get some feedback on it. I put some fake leaves in for a hide and used the little cap from inside the milk spout for a water bowl. The substrate is moist. (not wet) peat moss. Feedback? Maybe more substrate?
At that size, a 16oz deli cup is where it belongs IMO, although the one you have is indeed a deathtrap.

In the future, keep the sub predominantly dry, only moistening a small area...as long as you have a water dish, you don't (shouldn't) need to keep damp moss at all.

The 16oz deli is a better size, simply because it does allow for a little deeper substrate.

For ts, you'd be wise to ignore humidity numbers, and be wary of anyone or any place stressing specific numbers. That room is just fine for the ts, as is any room.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You're a Hummer guy, huh? At least my car doesn't run on Styrofoam and orphan tears.
My friend there's a bunch of car sizes between a Fiat500 and a Hummer. The "only" car smaller than a Fiat500 is a Yugo. :p Such a world of extremes you live in ;)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
My friend there's a bunch of car sizes between a Fiat500 and a Hummer. The "only" car smaller than a Fiat500 is a Yugo. :p Such a world of extremes you live in ;)
I refuse to acknowledge any spiders that aren't T. stirmi or C. argentinense.

There. Brought it full circle back to tarantulas :D

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Fiat 500 was one of the best car ever made, but I'm talking about the models of once: https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Nuova_500

That "new" monster made in those recent years is nothing but a 'fashion car' and I'm baffled (but just for saying) about the success obtained.

Jesus Christ :angelic: I say, drive real Italian cars: