sling enclosure

chondrotastic

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone,

I was thinking of either using deli cups with modified lids for sling enclosures or these acrylic containers from the container store since I saw them on a youtube vid and they looked pretty professional. Anyone have good experiences with these?
http://www.containerstore.com/shop/...rs/boxes?productId=10003497&green=18513888489

All of the slings I am getting are going to be around 1/2 to 1' so I am not sure how to judge the size of the enclosure needed. Is there a general rule for the size of sling enclosures? aboreal vs terrestrial? and also, at what size spiderling do you include a water dish in the enclosure?

Thanks,
Chondrotastic

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey everyone,

I was thinking of either using deli cups with modified lids for sling enclosures or these acrylic containers from the container store since I saw them on a youtube vid and they looked pretty professional. Anyone have good experiences with these?
http://www.containerstore.com/shop/...rs/boxes?productId=10003497&green=18513888489

All of the slings I am getting are going to be around 1/2 to 1' so I am not sure how to judge the size of the enclosure needed. Is there a general rule for the size of sling enclosures? aboreal vs terrestrial? and also, at what size spiderling do you include a water dish in the enclosure?

Thanks,
Chondrotastic
I use those and other cubes from The container Store for all my slings and even their shoe boxes for larger specimens http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10023922&N=&Ntt=shoe+boxes.
The shoe boxes already have holes drilled in and come in several sizes. The Amac boxes comes in several sizes and with two types of lids. I also use their bead stackable containers for slings that are great in numbers.
I like these for terrestrials slings up to 3" legspan dependant on size of cube. http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10028594&N=&Ntt=amac

For slings a water dish is not necessary. Just mist. You choose a box according to size of sling.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ah nice! Thanks for the advice and I checked out your Youtube channel, very nice videos!
Thank you. I have a video of my T room. You would see the cubes I use. I'm glad I have that store local to me. Sometimes i just walk around looking for ideas and I spend like an hour each time. Love that store.

Royal_T's

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use deli cups from GFS (Gordon Food Services). I get 50 containers and 50 lids for $10. I can control how much humidity each enclosure retains by putting more or less holes in the lids (I've noticed that the cubes often crack or break when doing this)... they are inexpensive and they work great.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use deli cups from GFS (Gordon Food Services). I get 50 containers and 50 lids for $10. I can control how much humidity each enclosure retains by putting more or less holes in the lids (I've noticed that the cubes often crack or break when doing this)... they are inexpensive and they work great.
I use a sharp drill bit and let the drill do the work. If you try to push the drill bit through with force cracking may occur. This happens to Plexi glass as well.

Royal_T's

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've never used the cubes myself, that's only what I've heard from others that have. I have made plenty costom plexiglass lids without ever cracking or breaking them, so it can be done but with some risk of damaging or breaking a new enclosure.

chondrotastic

Arachnopeon
Yea, I know plexiglass/Acrylic is somewhat of a pain to drill. It takes a certain touch. I was planning to use a circular drillbit and pop out a hole, then hot glue a screen to the outside. I have the GFS deli cups if those dont work so I'm gonna try it see what I can do.