Sling doesn't burrow

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I recently got an A. geniculata sling. It's eating great and isn't showing any issues. The only thing that I find odd is that it's not making a burrow.

I'm wondering if a sling might not want to make a burrow because the substrate is too damp or from some other issue, or if it's just normal for some slings to do this. Has anyone had one that just hung around above ground like this?

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
I recently got an A. geniculata sling. It's eating great and isn't showing any issues. The only thing that I find odd is that it's not making a burrow.

I'm wondering if a sling might not want to make a burrow because the substrate is too damp or from some other issue, or if it's just normal for some slings to do this. Has anyone had one that just hung around above ground like this?
Some burrow right away, others take a few weeks.
When I got my 5 lp slings A few days after I transfered them 4 out of the 5 had burrowed. The other burrowed eventually, but spent more time outside the burrow than in.

Dont know anything about you SP. so i'll let the experts jump in :rolleyes:

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have 9 G pulchra and often one or two decide they don't want to burrow. Eventuality the stubborn ones will burrow when it is time to molt. Though, I have one who burrowed then spun a hammock over the mouth and molted there.
I usually provide a hide for the ones that choose not to burrow.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i don't have any slings from your sp. but i was under the impression slings burrowing was not a steadfast rule, just something you should probably accept will happen with most.

neither my pulchripes nor euathlus sp. have made any attempts to burrow thusfar in their delis and i've had both for months (all of my brachys have though, at one point or another).

kylestl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have an a genic juvie (2 inches) and he had a burrow but the only he would use it was when he was scared. I rehoused him and now he just has a bunch of bedding dug out of a corner. They are a very enjoyable tarantula to own.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies. I always thought it's just natural for slings to burrow, since they're so small and vulnerable. I guess that's not always the case.

Anyway, I'm definitely looking forward to when this T get's bigger!

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a brocklehursti which blatantly refuse to burrow. I've predug a hole, and I've had the hole both damp and dry(wow, that sounds so bad...) she wont go anywhere near it. She prefers to sit on top of her hide and dream of world domination..

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There will be no burrow before its time.;P

PIG-

BrotherM213

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had 2nd instar B emilia that wouldn't burrow. the substrate was a little damp so i put a small layer of bone bone dry sub on top and noticed it burrowing a couple of hours later, then stop when it reached the damp stuff. I emptied out the whole thing and put only bone dry dirt in and now it seems to be happier and has a nice burrow dug.

There will be no burrow before its time.;P

PIG-
LOL-you been watching fast times at ridgemont high lately?

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have 9 G pulchra and often one or two decide they don't want to burrow. Eventuality the stubborn ones will burrow when it is time to molt. Though, I have one who burrowed then spun a hammock over the mouth and molted there.
I usually provide a hide for the ones that choose not to burrow.

My G. Pulchra was burrowing a lot then stopped filled it in and molted on the surface and hasn't burrowed since; all it's done is play a bed of web down and chill out around its enclosure

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
I got an A.brocklehursti a few months back he's molted several time's eat's well and refuses to burrow,but you wont hear me complain.I personally prefer seeing him all the time.Very cool T he does however like to move his substrate from one side of enclosure to the other then back again.Strange behavior!

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got an A.brocklehursti a few months back he's molted several time's eat's well and refuses to burrow,but you wont hear me complain.I personally prefer seeing him all the time.Very cool T he does however like to move his substrate from one side of enclosure to the other then back again.Strange behavior!
i probably should edit my own reply to add that the two i don't see having any inclinations of burrowing (the pulchripes and euathlus sp.) have bulldozed in the same manner you stated. perhaps they will, perhaps they wont, but if this is acclimation they are taking their sweet time and otherwise eating and moulting, and are not acting strangely.

webbedone

Arachnobaron
My G pulchra did the same thing it dug burrows three times, then filled them in then redug them then crawled into a vail it came to me in and webbed itself in. Its almost like its saying "EFF OFF I AM MOLTING" and i dont even touch the container but once a day to check on it

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
My A. geniculata sling took a while to make a little burrow, however, I only see it in it when I open it's little cup, and it runs and hides. If yours seems fine otherwise, I wouldn't worry. If it feels that it needs a burrow, it will make one.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I started thinking that maybe I packed the substrate too tightly for it to burrow. I took all the cocofiber out of the vial and about half of it back in. I left it much "fluffier" though, so it was still the same height and much easier to dig through. After I did that, it proceeded to make a burrow. I guess this was just due to an dumb error on my part.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I started thinking that maybe I packed the substrate too tightly for it to burrow. I took all the cocofiber out of the vial and about half of it back in. I left it much "fluffier" though, so it was still the same height and much easier to dig through. After I did that, it proceeded to make a burrow. I guess this was just due to an dumb error on my part.
eh, supercompacting coco hasn't deterred certain burrowers in the past, ime.

if anything, i am fortunate burrows haven't collapsed from such measures. possibly just giving it a starting point helped? even giving "ideas" for burrowing for terrestrials, i've had slings/juvies/adults decide on ideas of their own, ime.

TerribleGrizz

Arachnopeon
I agree with malevolentrobot, I had the substrate in my G. pulchra slings' enclosure compact, which didn't deter it from burrowing. Granted it did take a few weeks before it did, but it did nonetheless. It's out and about now though, completely ignoring it's burrow. T's will, ultimately, do as they please.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
eh, supercompacting coco hasn't deterred certain burrowers in the past, ime.

if anything, i am fortunate burrows haven't collapsed from such measures. possibly just giving it a starting point helped? even giving "ideas" for burrowing for terrestrials, i've had slings/juvies/adults decide on ideas of their own, ime.
I agree with malevolentrobot, I had the substrate in my G. pulchra slings' enclosure compact, which didn't deter it from burrowing. Granted it did take a few weeks before it did, but it did nonetheless. It's out and about now though, completely ignoring it's burrow. T's will, ultimately, do as they please.
It might have burrowed anyway, but I had this doubt in the back of my mind that the setup might be allowing the sling to carry out its natural behavior (burrowing). I just wanted to remove that doubt before just leaving the T to do as it pleases. Anyway, I don't like to overthink this kind of stuff (even though it looks like I already did :}). Too minor an issue, looking back on it. But thanks for the replies.