Sling Disaster!

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
well it started a few months ago when my little A.Hantzi died of DKS (think thats what its called). It was my first sling so i was pretty upset and decided to get new little T's. sooooo I ended up getting two DOA's in the mail! a psalmo irminia and a psalmo cambridgei :( I also got 14 N.chromatus 2I (kept in 2 deli cups)and they all died except 4 (verry fat little guys -.-). I had plans to split the remaining 4 into seperate vials today but when I opened the deli cup one was munching the other. then I opend the next deli cup and it was the same thing!!!! so now I only have 2 REALY FAT N.chromatus slings. the thing is tho I fed them all one baby roach a week and I would see them eat it so idk why they had to eat eachother! the one I am realy sad about is my P.Regalis he was doing fine running around and eating fine but today I went to check on him and he was in a death curl! he is currently in an ICU but I dont know what happend! I make sure they have water and food but they keep dieing! :( now I am terrified my little A.Versi is gunna die! she is fine now but from what I hear avics die suddenly and I dont want that to happen to my little one.

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
well I had the P.regalis in a pill vial with a little bit of substrate and some sphagnom moss for it to hide in. plus plenty of ventilation. I would mist if it looked too dry aswell. my little N.chromatus, I had them in a similar environment but in deli cups.

Last edited:

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm sorry about your babies :(

how about temperature?

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
What was in the piil bottles ? What kind of water are you useing ? Where are you. Keeping the little guys ?

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Not to be harsh, but totally your fault on the N. chromatus slings. Moving foward make sure that you keep the last two separate.

As for the others, please give us as much detail as you possibly can. The more we know, the more we can help. ;)

bholmes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not to be harsh, but totally your fault on the N. chromatus slings. Moving foward make sure that you keep the last two separate.

As for the others, please give us as much detail as you possibly can. The more we know, the more we can help. ;)
I agree, it should have been obvious to keep them in their own enclosures.
Don't believe that they just die for no reason. There is always a reason even if we do not know what it is. Like he others have said let us know how you keep your slings, once we know that we can begin trying to find out what it is you are doing wrong.

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
What was in the piil bottles ? What kind of water are you useing ? Where are you. Keeping the little guys ?
I bought the pill bottles from Ken the bug guy , just tap water and they are kept in my bedroom on my tarantula shelf. my room is always 75F

I know it was my fault but they came to me as freebees and I wasnt prepaired for them. I asked for 5 and got 14. never had T's so small before and didnt have enough containers to split them up.

here is a pic of my versi's setup the sphagnom moss is a new piece because the old one was soaking up so much water and lookd dark brown, I was scared of mold. it is similar to my P.regalis's setup.. also unfortunatly he passed away about an hour ago :(

venomous.com

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm not saying this is necessarily causing your problem but I'd stop using the sphagnum moss and fill the vial about halfway with coco fiber. Lightly mist the sides of the vial once or twice a week and don't worry much about ventilation (few pin holes in lid should suffice) You don't want the substrate to dry out or be soupy, somewhere in the middle. Lots of species, even arboreals, like to burrow when they are slings or use the substrate to decorate their webs.

I've raised probably 75 slings that way and might have lost 4 or 5 in 3 years. Good luck

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
wow... i feel for you thats horrible... i think when people buy tarantulas and get freebies they should at least know what there getting (in the way of the seller should only give you what you want) or at least ask

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wow... i feel for you thats horrible... i think when people buy tarantulas and get freebies they should at least know what there getting (in the way of the seller should only give you what you want) or at least ask
It would be cool to know if a person was getting freebies and what they were getting, but to put the sellers on the spot saying they should only give you what you want, would make it more difficult for this amazing hobby and culture to grow. Not only that, most of us wouldn't have the collections that we have if it wasn't for those occasional freebies. Not sure exactly how big the OP's order was, but if i was to order again, i'm always prepared, maybe not with vile's, but with storage containers, i'm always ready.

To the OP, is there something that is maybe being sprayed near or around your home that could be making it's way into your room?

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
There are so many common containers people throw away everyday nobody shouldnt worry about getting freebies. How can anyone complain about them? :? I love freebies! :D

Ingar

Arachnopeon
I living in small Baltic country called Latvia. Here is nearly immposible to get Ts in zoo stores. I have only a few people which transfer me Ts from other countries and I never had received an extra Ts, so you are lucky bastard :8o. Never say that there was no way to keep them in other enclosures - you could keep those N. chromatus even in matchboxes or so ever :mad:

I bought the pill bottles from Ken the bug guy , just tap water and they are kept in my bedroom on my tarantula shelf. my room is always 75F

I know it was my fault but they came to me as freebees and I wasnt prepaired for them. I asked for 5 and got 14. never had T's so small before and didnt have enough containers to split them up.

here is a pic of my versi's setup the sphagnom moss is a new piece because the old one was soaking up so much water and lookd dark brown, I was scared of mold. it is similar to my P.regalis's setup.. also unfortunatly he passed away about an hour ago :(

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When I keep tarantulas (or other spiders) in vials I use a piece of tissue paper pressed into the bottom so that it provides a sort of hiding place for the spider. I put another thumbnail-sized piece of tissue at mouth of the vial, and this one I moisten every day. Spiders can choose the moist end or the dry end at at their will. Tissue has to be changed every once in a while as it gets dirty, webbed up, etc., but that's easy enough to do with a pair of tweezers. That also gives me a chance to examine the spider close up and see how it's doing. I've raised lots of slings this way with great success.

tarantulaeddie0

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Tap water

My suggestion stop using tap water, it contains alot of chemicals, depending on where u live. Ive lost a few Ts that way, so now i use bottled water. Again just a suggestion.

Eddie

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Also instead of that moss put some wooden stick in the container or a peace of branch so the spider can makes webbing.

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
It would be cool to know if a person was getting freebies and what they were getting, but to put the sellers on the spot saying they should only give you what you want, would make it more difficult for this amazing hobby and culture to grow. Not only that, most of us wouldn't have the collections that we have if it wasn't for those occasional freebies. Not sure exactly how big the OP's order was, but if i was to order again, i'm always prepared, maybe not with vile's, but with storage containers, i'm always ready.

To the OP, is there something that is maybe being sprayed near or around your home that could be making it's way into your room?
true every likes freebies but darn when you get 16 little spiders and you don't have anywhere to put them??? yea there gonna end up like these ones.

not saying don't give out freebies just let them know if there geting a s***ton of them

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
true every likes freebies but darn when you get 16 little spiders and you don't have anywhere to put them??? yea there gonna end up like these ones.

not saying don't give out freebies just let them know if there geting a s***ton of them
i could see where that can come into play. I would have to say that maybe i am lucky that i have a 99cent store a few minutes from me where if that happened, i could take care of it. with what happened to the OP, i know i would ask for some assistance from the seller.

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
Sorry I havent responded I was away on vacation. I cant think of anything that is sprayed near my room, I yell if people spray air freshener or carpet cleaner in the hallway out side my room! the tap water I use comes from a Brita water filter. do you think that could be the problem? I live in NH out in the country and get our water from a resevior. (sorry about spelling)

Also I was thankfull for the freebees but wish I had warning.