Sling differentiation of B. hamorii and B. smithii?

Blonc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How soon can differences be told between the two? I have a sling that what was sold to me by a reputable seller as a B. smithii with certification and all. It's now just molted, about 1 inch in body length, and I'm wondering if I didn't get sold a B. hamorii instead. Pic shows the wee beastie just 2 days after moulting.

ed: I just realised I'd posted something really similar a couple of months ago. I thought it might make it easier this time around now that I've got a photo of it.

Attachments

Last edited:

JDP5

Arachnopeon
I am super new here, but this happens to be my absolute favorite Tarantula species. I can’t give you any definitive answer as I’m still pretty confused myself but one of the things described under the classification is that Hamorii have a little black triangle at the beginning of the first joint and the red coloration kinda looks like a flame. Smithi do not have this black triangle and the seta is more yellow orange than red orange. Smithi also tend to have lighter carapace but that is in no way a good marker. Finally Smithi will get significantly larger.
The top photo is a sling after a recent molt sold to me as a Hamorii but it doesn’t have the triangles and is significantly lighter in color. Could be molt?
The bottom photo was sold to me only as Mexican red knee and clearly has the triangles and a much darker color and carapace. Not 100% but that is what I know if it helps.

Attachments

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Not sure if it's possible until they are 2 to 3 inches. Im no expert but I would imagine that they would need to show alot of coloration before you could even guess

Blonc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the input guys:) I'll give the little guy a couple of years to grow then.