Sling closed off her burrows opening

AnniSinikka

Arachnopeon
I am new to this hobby and I got my first tarantula two days ago and the first day she/he just stood still in the opening of the terrarium and then at night she/he had gone inside her/his hide and yesterday she/he started to move the substrate to close off the opening.

I don't know when she/he had last eaten but her/his abdomen was quite big and I think she drank because there was a leaf in the water dish that wasn't in there before.

I am little worried, but should I just leave her/him alone or should I check on what she/he is doing there?

That's the photo of her or him, I decided to name her or him Shelob from The Lord of The Rings.

IMG_20210503_175100.jpg

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Okay. so two things, the enclosure poses a serious fall risk that can be fatal as thhere is too much height from substrate to lid due to this being a big exoterra style.

Ssecond this enclosure is waaaaaaay too big, you could use something 1/4 of the size and it still may. be too big, tarantulas do better in smaller enclosures they are not like other animals thhat will appreciate large spaces.

You need to rehouse is ASAP.

AnniSinikka

Arachnopeon
Oh good to know! So should I just take her/him from her hide and rehouse her/him to a smaller enclosure?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Oh good to know! So should I just take her/him from her hide and rehouse her/him to a smaller enclosure?
yes, what is the size of the tarantula? and post pictures of the proposed new enclosure so we can make sure it is set up safely.

AnniSinikka

Arachnopeon
Size of an bottle cap, I was thinking of putting her to this, I poked holes to the sides and to the lid.

And that is the size of my tarantula compared to the new enclousure, do you think that's good size? 1620224513186..jpg

And she/he doesn't want to come out pff the coconut, do this stress her/him too much?

1620225167866..jpg
I got her in there! Is that good for her/him, and is she/he going through premolt because her/his abdomen is quite big and shiny?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
View attachment 383835
I got her in there! Is that good for her/him, and is she/he going through premolt because her/his abdomen is quite big and shiny?
That is a much better size and it is no longer a fall risk. Do you have a piece of bark or wood to give it a little bit of a hide. And yes it may molt soon or may not no way of me telling you much more than that.

AnniSinikka

Arachnopeon
No I don't, what else could be a good hide, I have a cardboard that could work as a temporary hide for her.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
No I don't, what else could be a good hide, I have a cardboard that could work as a temporary hide for her.
Cardboard will probably mold I would not use that, do you have access to purchasing material such as corkbark, or other materials?

AnniSinikka

Arachnopeon
Yes I do, I will go and buy a new hide to her from a nearby petstore tomorrow so she can hide or I can go to the forest behind my house and find a small wood and out it in owen to get rid off all small things that could harm her? Would that be okay?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yes I do, I will go and buy a new hide to her from a nearby petstore tomorrow so she can hide or I can go to the forest behind my house and find a small wood and out it in owen to get rid off all small things that could harm her? Would that be okay?
Yes you could do either, I use stuff from outside, but only do it if you are 100% sure it is free from all chemicals and pesticides. It is up to you, but I personally do not bake/boil anything to sterilize, trying to sterilize things can cause mold/fungi issues with reducing natural competition of biotics that are naturally present, what I do is just leave anything I am going to use in direct sun for a day and make sure all the soil is brushed off. Some poeple will not use anything without complete sterilization, but I do not and thats just my opinion, as so far I have not had any blooms of mold or fungi by lettings be as they are but that is just me, you can bake it or boil it if you wish.

AnniSinikka

Arachnopeon
Okay, I'll do that tomorrow because it's raining now here and tomorrow should be sunny.

My tarantula found a spot in the corner of the enclosure and I sprayed little water in the other side of the enclosure.

Thank you very much for your help:) I think my T will be much comfortable in this new setup.