Sling caught prey, but hasnt killed

mmclindon

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone, pretty simple question that I am having trouble finding an answer to.

I just got my slings yesterday and wanted to give a day to settle in before feeding. All three of them took dubia nymphs this morning, and i prekilled one of the roaches for my g. pulchra (seems a bit scared of the movement).

My b. smithi shot after the live roach i put in the enclosure and got a hold of it from the roaches back. She (i hope its a she XD) is now just hanging with it in her fangs, but after 30 minutes the roach is still trying to "run". Being my first feeding, I am not sure how long the "takedown" should last. I feel like the bite should have taken effect on the roach by now, but its still tryin to do it's thing and live.

So my question would be: How long does it take for the feeder to actually die after being bit?

If it is not dying a few minutes after the takedown, does that mean the bite "missed" and is just gonna take time for the T to readjust and get a killing bite?

Sorry if these are really basic questions, but I didn't find an answer about this subject. Hopefully someone here can help me learn!

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What's the relative size of the sling to the roach (body size, not leg span)?

CamranT

Arachnopeon
I've had my A. Avic keep a roach alive for 20 min, T's can take a while sometimes.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Bit of a better photo, maybe more like same size as body rather than 3/4
The roach is pretty large for the tarantula, that's why it's likely taking so long for the roach to die. But it's subdued and no real danger for the tarantula so I'd just leave it be.

mmclindon

Arachnopeon
Ok, thought that may be the case. I'll make sure it gets one that is smaller next feed. I wasn't super worried, more-so curious about the process:D Is there ever a point I should do anything? It still has it trapped pretty good, but the roach is still moving legs.

Thanks for teaching me!

mmclindon

Arachnopeon
In case any other keepers stumble on this thread in the future, it took a little over an hour for the roach to finally die. Understanding now that it was too big makes a lot of sense and hopefully other people can use me as an example to learn from

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Ok, thought that may be the case. I'll make sure it gets one that is smaller next feed. I wasn't super worried, more-so curious about the process:D Is there ever a point I should do anything? It still has it trapped pretty good, but the roach is still moving legs.

Thanks for teaching me!
Its been exposed to the Tarantulas venom, and is in its grasp. Its barely staying alive..twitching and such. It does not pose a threat to the tarantula at this point.

The only time a regular feeder (not a mouse, etc.) may pose a threat to a T is during premolt and MAYBE post molt.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
So my question would be: How long does it take for the feeder to actually die after being bit?
I realise that this isn't the most helpful answer but it takes however long it takes. Bear in mind that tarantulas don't always envenomate prey, and roaches are tough as old boots that were plated with adamantium.

I fed an oversized dubia to my T. albopilosus years ago and it took her over an hour to kill it, I generally try not to feed anything larger than the tarantula's abdomen now.

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
I prefer to feed smaller prey items vs. larger, it gives the T the advantage and reduces all risks associated with large kills, clean up and overeating

mmclindon

Arachnopeon
Yea, honestly think I was just being overzealous with wanting to get the T fed rather than observing proper husbandry. Kinda sucks to make a mistake, but at least I know now and can be more confident with the T's care moving forward.

A question that comes to mind from this though: I was planning to feed twice a week,but since it was such a large meal would it be in the T's best interest to hold off on offering for an extra few days? Or should I offer and let the T dictate if it wants to eat?

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Slings can become overfed, so feeding it as much as it will take is not a good idea. Look at how fat the abdomen gets over time as a clue for how much to feed.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Yea, honestly think I was just being overzealous with wanting to get the T fed rather than observing proper husbandry. Kinda sucks to make a mistake, but at least I know now and can be more confident with the T's care moving forward.

A question that comes to mind from this though: I was planning to feed twice a week,but since it was such a large meal would it be in the T's best interest to hold off on offering for an extra few days? Or should I offer and let the T dictate if it wants to eat?
Don't feed by schedule. Use the abdomen as a gauge. If its nice and plump, no food needed. Simple.

Bigger the prey, less often needs feeding.

This technique will help avoid hunger strikes as well.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
A question that comes to mind from this though: I was planning to feed twice a week,but since it was such a large meal would it be in the T's best interest to hold off on offering for an extra few days?
If you're feeding larger meals then I'd say once a week is plenty.

mmclindon

Arachnopeon
Awesome, thanks for the help. I'd seen some folks recommend the twice a week deal so it's kinda just what I had in my head.

I appreciate all the advice here. I thought I was pretty well prepared for what I should expect, but once again I am reminded I constantly need to be learning!

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
You will learn to read your T, it tells you when it's hungry and when it's not. Feet hanging out of burrows is a good sign it's hungry. A T that often hides but is out in full view is probably hungry assuming you didn't flood its hide, etc. When they want food they go out looking, they can't order GrubHub.

I have a pair of H. sp. Colombia slings that barricaded themselves in their hides to molt and today one started digging itself out. It's probably ready to feed. They won't waste away when their husbandry is right. But every sp is different and every individual can be as well.

The risks of overfeeding include decreased lifespan, less time between molts and lethargy/laziness. Keep them a little underfed, it's healthier and more authentic.