Sling Care

FilExotics

Arachnopeon
Hello guys. I got myself 3 Psalmo ts. A pulcher cambri and irminia. The thing is, they always hide in their burrow, sometimes in the web behind the corkbark (dirt curtain). Will the sling survive with just misting? Will it molt? I wanted to feed it or leave prekilled mealworms in the enclo but I am afraid of the white things if they dont eat their food (molds maybe?). I tried that with my GBB but it refused, and left a white thing like powder. I immediately cleaned it.

Braden

Arachnoknight
First of all, those are awesome T's lol
The sling will do great with misting every few days. Keeping the sub moist by dribbling water is a great alternative too. But the best is a water dish, I suppose it depends how big the enclosure is though. They will absolutely molt, I suspect they have created very nice little hideouts. Pre-killed is my favorite option for feeding slings, especially mealworm pieces. Feeding is simple, place it close to the entrance of the hide, or leave it close to the webbing. If it eats within 24 hours great, if not remove. Also, white things? Springtails? Mites? Mold? Can you elaborate please or post a pic?
Cheers

FilExotics

Arachnopeon
Yes mites. I dont know what to call it sorry. And also, thanks for the advice. My slings are still in cm size.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes mites. I dont know what to call it sorry. And also, thanks for the advice. My slings are still in cm size.
If you have mites already it’s either too moist, or dirty with poop or dead prey on there.

Improve your husbandry and you’ll be fine

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Oh man I couldn’t imagine having got psalmopoeus as my first Ts. They’re my favorite genus now and I have 2 cams, irminia, pulcher, and reduncus. I haven’t had issues with mine but I can imagine them being quite the handful for someone just starting out.

Don’t most their enclosures. I usually put a few inches of substrate at the bottom, and make sure the bottom layer is moist by poking a hole in the corner with a paintbrush down to the bottom and pouring water down there. Keep their water dish full at all times. I think the biggest issues people have with these is they think because they’re arboreal they don’t need much substrate. Don’t skimp them out on it, as having around 3 inches of substrate at the bottom will help to hold some moisture in there. Give them good side ventilation as well. And I’d highly suggest cutting out some cardboard that fits over the opening of the enclosure and perfectly around the catch cup for rehousing when it comes time. They’re very fast and bolty.

As for the mites, leave a prekilled prey item in the enclosure and remove it with a spoon after a few hours along with a bit of the surrounding substrate. Rinse and repeat.

Edit: if you’re thinking they aren’t getting enough water, you can sparingly dribble some water on their webbing. But misting the whole enclosure can create a stuffy environment, especially without ample side ventilation.