Sling care

Eli02

Arachnopeon
I might be getting a few Venezuelan Suntiger and Trinidad cheveron slings soon but have heard that people often have a hard time keepinv them alive (specifically the Suntiger slings). I was wonderinv if any of you guys have had problems and if you guys had some tips on keeping them.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I might be getting a few Venezuelan Suntiger and Trinidad cheveron slings soon but have heard that people often have a hard time keepinv them alive (specifically the Suntiger slings). I was wonderinv if any of you guys have had problems and if you guys had some tips on keeping them.
What I hear over and over is that stuffy, damp cages kill arboreal slings, so you need tons of cross ventilation in a vertical enclosure.

I'll let others who actually keep arboreals get more specific than that.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I've raised a lot of genus Psalmopoeus slings (90% were P.cambridgei) and I never had an issue. They are quite hardy at 360°

A proper ventilation? Hell, on my book is always needed :-s

user 666

Arachnobaron
I am a relative newbie (I only really got into Ts in December) and one of my first Ts was a 1" P irminia (Venezuelan suntiger).

I got it at the Baltimore Repticon in January.

It is still alive and growing today, so they can't be that hard to care for.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think that out of the +/- 20 psalmo slings and adults ive cared for i only had a single sling die on me, and it was seemingly without reason.
Sometime its like that though i guess.

They are pretty hardy as a species, and easy enough to care for. They are pretty cheap, or often given away for free as well, so do a bit of research/caresheet reading and youll be just fine!

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I would recommend getting the P. cambridgei first, the P.irminia slings can be fragile. They seem to appreciate more humidity but they aren't very difficult to keep.

If you've had experience with arboreals you should be fine, just remember ventilation is key. Once you figure out the right balance of humidity/ventilation your all set. I haven't had any issues with irminia yet, in general these are pretty hardy spiders.

Eli02

Arachnopeon
My room is usually in the mid-upper 70's during the day but will often drop down to the 60's at night during the colder months. Do you think that the slings will be ok?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
What I hear over and over is that stuffy, damp cages kill arboreal slings, so you need tons of cross ventilation in a vertical enclosure.
Agreed, that's the pitfall of a lot of new keepers. Not enough ventilation. I can't say that I've found a difference between cross ventilation or anything else, so long as there's enough ventilation. I always suggest that new keepers err on the side of "too much" ventilation. Worst case scenario is that they need to water their spider more often. A dry enclosure is usually a lot less dangerous than a stuffy one.

cold blood

Staff member
I consider Psalmopeous to be about the hardiest NW arboreals I can imagine. Raise them dry...fine, just keep a water dish and feed often...keep them too damp, as long as ventilation is good, they do fine....keep them terrestrially, they do fine, keep them arboreally, they do fine....super easy to keep alive...what you heard was nonsense.

I haven't noticed irminia to be any less hardy.