Sling Care help

Veribug

Arachnosquire
Hi guys :)

Just a quick question, I think I've fallen victim to reading a bit too much. I've got two slings arriving tomorrow, a G. pulchripes and Euathlus sp Red (I know they are slow growers especially the Euathlus, I'm ready for that) but I think since trying to figure out the care I've read slightly conflicting opinions and now I've got the wires crossed a bit.

To make it a little more confusing, they're listed as "1.5-3cm leg span" so don't know the exact sizes yet. This is less of a concern as I have multiple different sizes of pots so I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. (also not entirely sure if they mean DLS, England is a bit less clear with measurements it seems)

Anyway, my current understanding is:

Plenty of substrate for burrowing (I also have bark chips as hides) (I'm using that block substrate that you add water to with a little sphagnum moss mixed in)
Keep substrate slightly moist if a water dish cannot fit into the enclosure
If there is a water dish, keep sub less moist (half and half maybe?)
A good amount of cross ventilation

Can anyone agree or disagree with my current info? I just wanna get it all set up well before they arrive tomorrow. :) can take a couple of photos of what I have at the moment if needed and I have dry sub at hand if I need to swap out the damp

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I think you will have no problems. I agree with what you said. You can't go wrong with a bit of substrate (a lot of slings loves to burrow, including arboreals... that's how they survive, basically) and of course, with an eye on the 'humidity' part, for that slings are more delicate as you know well.

Veribug

Arachnosquire
I think you will have no problems. I agree with what you said. You can't go wrong with a bit of substrate (a lot of slings loves to burrow, including arboreals... that's how they survive, basically) and of course, with an eye on the 'humidity' part, for that slings are more delicate as you know well.
Thank you very much Chris :) I will keep an eye on the thread for the next few hours if anyone wants to throw out any more advice at me :D

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Thank you very much Chris :) I will keep an eye on the thread for the next few hours if anyone wants to throw out any more advice at me :D
I think you know things very well :) the only differences could been IMO in personal way of doing things. For instance, I love to work with very little slings (like first instars to 2 cm ones) in very little enclosures, without using something similar to a water dish (obviously wouldn't even fit in the enclosure) nor sphagnum moss, I use my 'eyes' only for humidity... but I do not suggest this to others.

If a little water dish enters it's always better just like sphagnum moss. Those helps.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Just like Chris said. Don't put them in something too big. Keep the substrate moist but not wet. You don't want the enclosure swampy. I have been using a large fake leaf for my hides lately and I've had good luck with them. I poke holes in the cups I use with a thumbtack and the use a bamboo skewer to enlarge them till they are the right size. Don't make them too big that the slings can make a break for it. If your container can hold a tiny water dish I would add it. It's not needed as long as the sub gets moisture to the T but it helps cut down on maintenance and makes things easier IMO. If a water dish will not fit I add long moss and add drops of water to it for the T to drink.

If you want to post some photos of the enclosure before you introduce your Ts in them just add them here and we can point out anything that could be improved.

Good luck and have fun with your new Ts.

Veribug

Arachnosquire
Just like Chris said. Don't put them in something too big. Keep the substrate moist but not wet. You don't want the enclosure swampy. I have been using a large fake leaf for my hides lately and I've had good luck with them. I poke holes in the cups I use with a thumbtack and the use a bamboo skewer to enlarge them till they are the right size. Don't make them too big that the slings can make a break for it. If your container can hold a tiny water dish I would add it. It's not needed as long as the sub gets moisture to the T but it helps cut down on maintenance and makes things easier IMO. If a water dish will not fit I add long moss and add drops of water to it for the T to drink.

If you want to post some photos of the enclosure before you introduce your Ts in them just add them here and we can point out anything that could be improved.

Good luck and have fun with your new Ts.
Great. I've attached a couple of pictures here. I used a pill bottle for scale as I don't have any measuring equipment to hand but I found these tubs at a local shop and thought they looked ideal. I'd guess the're about 2 inches tall, 2inches by 3 inches across (loose approx)

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Made some little holes too. Been monitoring these for 24 hours and seen no condensation whatsoever. Have indeed managed to fit a metal bottle cap in as a dish. My only real concern is just how moist the sub is, but I squeezed and squeezed it to make sure there wasn't any excess water and I presume no condensation is a good sign! But if anything is concerning you feel free to let me know

[Edit: sorry about the size of the pictures, crikey, those are huge ahaha]

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
Those should be just fine for the slings you described what I do for my slings that come from more arid areas is just moisten one area or corner when there to small for water dishes. This is in my experience acts as a sorta of pseudo water dish. Good luck with your new t's!

Veribug

Arachnosquire
Those should be just fine for the slings you described what I do for my slings that come from more arid areas is just moisten one area or corner when there to small for water dishes. This is in my experience acts as a sorta of pseudo water dish. Good luck with your new t's!
Yeah I felt like they'd be just right but worst case scenario and they're too big or small I have more equipment at hand. I'm gonna remove a bit of the damp sub and pop in a dry patch seeing as I can squeeze a bottle cap in. Thanks for all your help! Reading the forums sure does help a lot.

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
Yep I've been in the hobby for quite a while about 5 years and Im still learning everyday from the forums

Ps: Im new to the forums

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Great. I've attached a couple of pictures here. I used a pill bottle for scale as I don't have any measuring equipment to hand but I found these tubs at a local shop and thought they looked ideal. I'd guess the're about 2 inches tall, 2inches by 3 inches across (loose approx)

View attachment 217455 View attachment 217456

Made some little holes too. Been monitoring these for 24 hours and seen no condensation whatsoever. Have indeed managed to fit a metal bottle cap in as a dish. My only real concern is just how moist the sub is, but I squeezed and squeezed it to make sure there wasn't any excess water and I presume no condensation is a good sign! But if anything is concerning you feel free to let me know

[Edit: sorry about the size of the pictures, crikey, those are huge ahaha]
They look good to me. Leave the lid off and sit it near a bright window to help it dry out some till your Ts get here.

Veribug

Arachnosquire
Thanks @Trenor I've swapped out a little of the damp for some dry sub I had at hand so now it's half and half but can dampen up again with a pipette if need be :)

cold blood

Staff member
First things first, I would contact the seller and inquire as to the sizes....that's a pretty good variance when considering DLS, throw in the possibility its referring to body length, and its a whole new set of spider sizes.

Also, G. pulchripes isn't a terribly slow grower, not fast, but certainly not one of the slower ones out there.....the smaller it is, the faster it will grow...slings till about 1.25" (DLS) can molt every 30-45 days. They have a great appetite, even as small slings.