Sling can't penetrate b.dubia shell

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
Hey, so I've dropped a little dubia into my Gbb sling enclosure. The gbb was interested and grabbed it by the shell.(I usually feed my T's crickets, so a few of them are experiencing their first times with roaches.) It's got one fang penetrated, but not deep enough to apply the venom, while the other is trying to get through the shell. It's been around 4 minutes now, and the roach is just grabbing what's infront of it trying to get away. Do I, somehow try yo crush the cricket head, or just let the gbb tussle with the roach until he figures it out.

Attachments

Grimsin

Arachnopeon
I have watched dubia fight for some time. If even one fang goes in its enough.

cold blood

Staff member
Sometimes I will go in 25 min after feeding or longer and roaches are still very much alive, and these are large adults I'm talking about....roaches are just really hard to kill, it will get the job done in time if it hasn't already.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Happened to me that one MF dubia was still twitching and kicking while she was half eaten(literally no abdomen), they surely get a+ for effort in struggling

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If the slings are tiny enough, i generslly squish the roach heads to make it easier on the sling.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
If an adult pokie has to fight a roach for over five minutes, then a GBB sling will take some time ;) Don't worry. One they've got a grip, there's no way they're letting go of that meal. It'll probably re-grip the roach eventually.

DeanK

Arachnosquire
Maybe a little big but I've noticed my GBBs both have no problem taking down larger than recommended prey items

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Maybe a little big but I've noticed my GBBs both have no problem taking down larger than recommended prey items
Nah, I don't doubt they can take down larger than recommended.. It's just the aspect of overfeeding.. T's tend to get too fat sometimes :p But it depends how often they're fed.. Judging from the picture above, the T will have enough for like 10 days at least :D

DeanK

Arachnosquire
Nah, I don't doubt they can take down larger than recommended.. It's just the aspect of overfeeding.. T's tend to get too fat sometimes :p But it depends how often they're fed.. Judging from the picture above, the T will have enough for like 10 days at least :D
Adults can get too fat sure, a slings only job is to get fat and molt and grow. 10 days ha, it's a GBB sling it'll be ready to eat again tomorrow

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Adults can get too fat sure, a slings only job is to get fat and molt and grow. 10 days ha, it's a GBB sling it'll be ready to eat again tomorrow
Well there are still boundaries.. At least I believe there should be.. I've seen slings disturbingly overfed.. With literally swollen abdomens. I don't know, Im just not a fan of powerfeeding my slings and they are all doing fine.. Gbb's do have a massive appetite but I tend to keep my schedule despite their lust for food :)

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Eeeeeewwww
Yes, that day i found out T's are very conservative in using their venom reserves, and if pure mechanical force can keep prey at bay, they will prefer that method. I no remember what species was in question

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yes, that day i found out T's are very conservative in using their venom reserves, and if pure mechanical force can keep prey at bay, they will prefer that method. I no remember what species was in question
Certain species are more prone to mastication ("chewing") than others. N. coloratovillosus will dig their fangs in over and over, they're quite the loud eaters. The prey dies very quickly that way, obviously.

cold blood

Staff member
Well there are still boundaries.. At least I believe there should be.. I've seen slings disturbingly overfed.. With literally swollen abdomens. I don't know, Im just not a fan of powerfeeding my slings and they are all doing fine.. Gbb's do have a massive appetite but I tend to keep my schedule despite their lust for food :)
You simply cannot over-feed a sling....a swollen abdomen means impending growth, which is a sling's main goal....prior to molting slings should have a swollen abdomen.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Certain species are more prone to mastication ("chewing") than others. N. coloratovillosus will dig their fangs in over and over, they're quite the loud eaters. The prey dies very quickly that way, obviously.
:mooning::smug:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Happened to me that one MF dubia was still twitching and kicking while she was half eaten(literally no abdomen), they surely get a+ for effort in struggling
My male A. chalcodes does this... it is awful. The roach was still trying to crawl away and he was just masticating the entire abdomen.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Oh, but as for the original topic.. I will drop dubia in on their backs if I thin their shell will be too hard for a sling :)