Sling can't penetrate b.dubia shell

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You simply cannot over-feed a sling....a swollen abdomen means impending growth, which is a sling's main goal....prior to molting slings should have a swollen abdomen.
+1, all my slings are fed to the point where their abdomens are sometimes 3x or 4x the size of the carapace. Never had any problems.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
My male A. chalcodes does this... it is awful. The roach was still trying to crawl away and he was just masticating the entire abdomen.
If you think that's bad..try feeding a superworm or dubia to a praying mantis...my H.membranacea was halfway with the worm, and it was still wriggling like crazy :eek: :D

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If you think that's bad..try feeding a superworm or dubia to a praying mantis...my H.membranacea was halfway with the worm, and it was still wriggling like crazy :eek: :D
Nature is soo cruel!

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Nah, I don't doubt they can take down larger than recommended.. It's just the aspect of overfeeding.. T's tend to get too fat sometimes :p But it depends how often they're fed.. Judging from the picture above, the T will have enough for like 10 days at least :D
You can't overfeed a sling

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I only feed dubias. I feed the size that is appropriate for the T with tiny slings getting nymphs about a day old. I've never has a sling that was unable to bite through a dubia exo. These guys are setup to eat insects that have harder exos.

If you don't have a range of sizes needed, you can always cut up the prey to get the required size.

I'll have to see if I can find that photo of one of my ting Avic slings hauling a dubia, bigger than it was, up the side of the enclosure to it's web funnel. I was very impressed.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Certain species are more prone to mastication ("chewing") than others. N. coloratovillosus will dig their fangs in over and over, they're quite the loud eaters. The prey dies very quickly that way, obviously.
This... My A. geniculata absolutely mangles roaches, you just hear a bunch of loud crunches and see a twisted mess of shell, legs and roach guts, she's brutal.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Awww that sound. So hauntingly beautiful.. as savage as that may seem. I always enjoy listening to my Ceratos and Pterinochilus sp eating that way :angelic:

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
This... My A. geniculata absolutely mangles roaches, you just hear a bunch of loud crunches and see a twisted mess of shell, legs and roach guts, she's brutal.
My genic does the same thing... if the roach is still moving then my genic is still crunching. Freaked my girlfriend out the first time she wanted to watch a feeding. :rofl:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I have a little G.rosea not even 2 cm sling and the little bugger pierce B.dubia babies (of my breeding) without issues :-s

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I have a little G.rosea not even 2 cm sling and the little bugger pierce B.dubia babies (of my breeding) without issues :-s
That is because grammostola have the awesome powerfull chelicerae that seems to big for their body ;):angelic::angelic::angelic: