Sling barely moving

Urszula

Arachnopeon
My grammostola pulchripes sling is barely moving even when I try to move it slightly.. I'm suspecting it got dehydrated unfortunately. Does anyone know if slings can recover back to health from dehydration if it's still not too late? I have sprayed the substrate so it's quite damp, is there anything else I can do to help?
Thank you for any advice

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You need to submit pics of enclosure and T for us to help you.

Urszula

Arachnopeon
IMG_20200305_232843.jpg
It's still moving, just seems rather unwell.. I've put a freshly molted mealworm in (pre killed) in case it improves enough to eat. Never had this with any of my slings..

Dorifto

He who moists xD
First of all remove the worm, the T looks like is going to molt looking to the abdomen darkness. Also doesn't need to be feed, looks plump

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I cannot tell if it's freshly molted or not based on the pictures, but it certainly is plump so there's no need to feed it. If you keep trying to feed that little one it certainly is going to get stressed out. The best thing you can do for your little one is to leave it alone.

Urszula

Arachnopeon
I don't think it's going into a molt, the abdomen of g. Pulchripes slings are always dark.. It's not shiny and the behaviour isn't like anything I've experienced.. Sorry I'm not trying to say you're wrong I'm just very worried :( anyway I removed the worm like you advised

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Sorry, from my phone looked shiny. The temperature and the humidity are the correct?

Urszula

Arachnopeon
Yeah I keep the temperature and humidity as it should be.. I've sprayed the substrate today as it looked quite dry, will just have to wait and see :depressed:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I have sprayed the substrate so it's quite damp
That is not good. A stuffy enclosure will kill a spider (especially a sling) more quickly than a dry one. If the substrate is that wet, I would suggest a rehouse immediately. The substrate should be damp - you should be able to pick up a pinch of the stuff without it turning to dust, but you shouldn't have excess moisture leak out if you squeeze the substrate. While this species does enjoy a bit of dampness, err on the side of being too dry rather than too wet. Again, stuffy enclosures kill spiders.