Sling Advice!

rachaelsarachnids

Arachnopeon
Hi, I have just received my very first sling. I've only ever owned adult Ts before so I was wondering if you guys had any advice for me? He's a B. Smithi and about the size of the nail on my pink finger (not including legs) Also how fast do they generally grow? I know Smithis tend to have a slow growth rate but does anyone have experience with that? Thanks :)

Attachments

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Keep sub in deli cup half moist(not saturated) half dry. Feed pre-killed prey or small items regularly and stop wait for molt when refuses.

Keep room temps and should be fine. Not much difference

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I don't have a B. Smithi, but I do have a B. Albopilosum which has similar care, with all slings, a tiny bit more humidity is always good (with ventilation of course). Being a brachy I assume slow to medium growth

And everything above this post

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
growth rate of b albopilosum, a cousin of theirs, is pretty slow.. like a couple inches a year.

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
B emilia

1/3" as of 03/30/2016

04/07/2017 is @1 1/4"

Slow grower, but one of my favorites...

boina

Lady of the mites
If that's a wet paper towel in the deli cup you might want to take it out if you haven't already. That's def. too much moisture.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Also how fast do they generally grow? I know Smithis tend to have a slow growth rate but does anyone have experience with that?
Rate of growth depends upon the following
1. Gender
2. Age
3. Type of food fed
4. Frequency of feedings
5. Quantity of food fed in a single meal
6. Temperature

Anyone that owns a smithi has slow growth rates. Have fun.

Madmomgamer

Arachnopeon
Hi, I have just received my very first sling. I've only ever owned adult Ts before so I was wondering if you guys had any advice for me? He's a B. Smithi and about the size of the nail on my pink finger (not including legs) Also how fast do they generally grow? I know Smithis tend to have a slow growth rate but does anyone have experience with that? Thanks :)
From the research Ive gathered from my B.vagans sling, they tend to be slow to grow which is why I bought a Female A. Chalodes to keep me busy in the mean time. Since you already have adults you should be good (or maybe get 1 or 2 more). Keep some of the substrate moist as apparently sings need humidity and can drink from the substrate if need be. Since its small I would offer prekilled prey and just enjoy it while its small. While my B.vagans is a pet container of substrate (buried underneath the cocofiber), yours might do the same(burrow) or be out and about just depends on the personality of the sling I guess. But Ive heard it might be tiny for a while (year or more so).

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Everyone above has pretty much covered everything.

Being from Tennessee too, out of curiosity, did you buy it from a local shop? I can't find anywhere here that sells T's, not even Petco has the tarantula huts here.

Madmomgamer

Arachnopeon

Being from Tennessee too, out of curiosity, did you buy it from a local shop? I can't find anywhere here that sells T's, not even Petco has the tarantula huts here.
You know, being from Idaho I have that problem too. While my Petco very seldomly offers those nasty huts and even then I would prefer not to buy from them (made two mistakes there but Ill leave that out). My LPS is in Pocatello a 45 minute drive just to even remotely see if they have anything new in :/ So I feel you there. Online ordering is the best route to go i suppose that or to a rep/arachno convention in Salt Lake or Boise both 4 hour drives for me just to even get a well taken care of T.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
You know, being from Idaho I have that problem too. While my Petco very seldomly offers those nasty huts and even then I would prefer not to buy from them (made two mistakes there but Ill leave that out). My LPS is in Pocatello a 45 minute drive just to even remotely see if they have anything new in :/ So I feel you there. Online ordering is the best route to go i suppose that or to a rep/arachno convention in Salt Lake or Boise both 4 hour drives for me just to even get a well taken care of T.
Ya, it sucks. The nearest expo I've even seen pop up near me was in Virginia beach which is not even remotely close lol, so in the same boat there too. There use to be a ton of exotic pet shops in Chattanooga about an hour away, but now there's nothing that I can find.

Madmomgamer

Arachnopeon
Ya, it sucks. The nearest expo I've even seen pop up near me was in Virginia beach which is not even remotely close lol, so in the same boat there too. There use to be a ton of exotic pet shops in Chattanooga about an hour away, but now there's nothing that I can find.
I know that some have offers on craigslist which is like picking a needle in a haystack here in Idaho. But I have seen some group enthusiast on Facebook that sometimes order in bulk and get tons of free slings and flip em for 15-20 USD here too :/ so that might be something to check out :D

rachaelsarachnids

Arachnopeon
If that's a wet paper towel in the deli cup you might want to take it out if you haven't already. That's def. too much moisture.
Oh that was the tissue he came in, he was sitting on it so I just took the whole tissue and put it in his container and removed it once he walked off of it. :)

rachaelsarachnids

Arachnopeon

There's a local exotic pet store near me that carries a few species, the owner ordered mine for me since he didn't have any Smithis in shop.