Sling 48hrs on back and unresponsive

PayWaldo

Arachnopeon
I’m thinking I’ve lost my GBB sling😰… I couldn’t find anywhere on how long molts should take. I’m somewhat new to slings but have done lots of care research and feel like the jar he is in has good temp and humidity. I have 2 larger T’s I’ve had for years. Just bought 3 slings each 1/2”. Had my sling for 1-1.5 weeks, ate very well 4-5 days ago, went on his back 48hrs ago. Hasn’t moved since. Humidity and moisture shouldn’t have been an issue. Tried moistening him with a paint brush, he is completely unresponsive. He is still very flexible. My best guess is I had some moss in there with him that might have poisoned him? Some moss my wife had lying around. Might have been moss she used for flower arrangement. So it potentially could have had additives or preservatives? Or dyes? Idk 🤷‍♂️ went from healthy and active to on his back overnight. Moss was in there since he was in there. I assumed it was molting. The photo of him on the wall was from last week. Added it to show the moss.

I took the moss out of the other 2 slings homes just incase. I put my GBB back in his home on his back just incase. I do want to learn from my mistakes. Thoughts on what I’ve done wrong?
I have the bottom half of the substrate moist in a mason jar and have a heat pad somewhat near the jar. First did holes poked in the jar lid then swapped to a breathable cloth top.

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I would not have included moist substrate and near a heating surface, Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens do best IME on completely dry substrate from those sizes.

PayWaldo

Arachnopeon
I would not have included moist substrate and near a heating surface, Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens do best IME on completely dry substrate from those sizes.
Thanks for the info. Is this to close: see photo. Tbh, his substrate was dry on the top 1-2”. Then after being on his back for 24hrs I added some moisture, then more after 48 hrs.

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks for the info. Is this to close: see photo. Tbh, his substrate was dry on the top 1-2”. Then after being on his back for 24hrs I added some moisture, then more after 48 hrs.
What are the temperatures in your house? My house is in the mid and upper 60's and i do not need supplemental heat. Unless your house is in the 50's I would say to just ditch the heating pad. That my style though other may have different opinions.

I would not add moisture like that for C. cyaneopubescens IME they abhor any moisture.

Also I see some things that can maybe be improved on in your other enclosures. The tank on the left, it seem it may not have a suitable hide (looks like a flower pot that does not allow burrowing underneath), and may have a little bit too much room from substrate level to lid, posing a fall risk. If you are open to advice you are more than welcome to post photos of any of your enclosures.

PayWaldo

Arachnopeon
What are the temperatures in your house? My house is in the mid and upper 60's and i do not need supplemental heat. Unless your house is in the 50's I would say to just ditch the heating pad. That my style though other may have different opinions.

I would not add moisture like that for C. cyaneopubescens IME they abhor any moisture.

Also I see some things that can maybe be improved on in your other enclosures. The tank on the left, it seem it may not have a suitable hide (looks like a flower pot that does not allow burrowing underneath), and may have a little bit too much room from substrate level to lid, posing a fall risk. If you are open to advice you are more than welcome to post photos of any of your enclosures.
Thank you, good to know on the temps. I will take the other slings away from the pad. I am open to advice. this was stupid, but in a pinch I took some substrate from that enclosure for the slings. Havnt replaced it yet. That’s for my 5.5” ish Aphonopelma seemanni, Costa Rican zebra tarantula. I want to rehouse him because the enclosure is starting to smell if you smell the inside. I’ll ditch the mug. I havnt been the best at cleaning out poop and stuff.

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you, good to know on the temps. I will take the other slings away from the pad. I am open to advice. this was stupid, but in a pinch I took some substrate from that enclosure for the slings. Havnt replaced it yet. That’s for my 5.5” ish Aphonopelma seemanni, Costa Rican zebra tarantula. I want to rehouse him because the enclosure is starting to smell if you smell the inside. I’ll ditch the mug. I havnt been the best at cleaning out poop and stuff.
Thanks for posting this.
1st- The substrate looks like it is on the dry side for an Aphonopelma seemanni with the bottom layers of the substrate not looking slightly moist, rather they look almost bone dry, perhaps it only seems that way based on the lighting.

2nd- is that hide a pot that is circular all the way around buried in the soil for a hide? Or is it broken in half?
- You want whatever is partially buried to be open on the bottom to allow for burrowing underneath not just an open space

3rd- The hide also looks on the small side and does not allow for any expansion, a piece of bark partially buried at an angle like you have with a pre started small opening made may be more suitable.

4th- Is the lid on the top of that tank screen mesh? If so, you are going to want to replace it with acrylic with holes drilled into it, as the screen mesh those types of tanks usually have is dangerous for a tarantula as they can get their tarsal claws stuck in them, getting stuck, hanging, and losing a leg or worse. Maybe you've already done that and you can disregard me repeating what you already know and have done.