Slightly concerned

Jono_mad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi. i have noticed since i put my emperor scorp into her enclosure that the tank has a strange smell. it's been getting stronger over the last few days and i don't really know what it is. shes only been in there since sunday evening and the peat i put in there was fresh and sterilised. its not exactly a nasty smell like mold or anything, its just strange and i dont know if its normal seeing as ive never kept scorpions. i was wondering whether its some kind of scent the scorpion is emitting or something? otherwise the scorpion seems fine but hasnt eateb yet. she has also been continuously putting her claws into the air holes at the top of the tank and today she got stuck and kept pulling herself up so i had to free her. im gonna get a new tank hopefully tomorrow and put her in it so that there are no holes for her to get stuck in. can anyone tell me what the smell is though? many thanks,
Jono

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Humid areas which are not ventilated, will carry a slight odor at first, so it may be that if the smell is similar to the after rain scent. It also may be the type of substrate your using. I prefer use of Sphagnum Peat and highly differ from use of cedar. I have heard of rainforest scorps dying from use of it within a few days but have never used it, and therefore, don't have personal experience with it.

adios,
edw. :D

Jono_mad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks. im gonna change the container today hopefully so it should be alright.
Jono