Slate for C. Vittatus?

pokermon919

Arachnopeon
I have a comunal tank with 2 females and a male c. vittatus. I don't have slate in there, would that be a problem? I'm cheap so I didn't buy the slate at the petstores. any idea where to get it cheap if I need the slate for them to breed?

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
any flat stones should be fine. I used to steal alot of chipped granite pieces from when I worked at job sites. Its all garbage to them, where I'm some loon whose picking up random pieces of broken rock.

it doesnt HAVE to be slate. Hell most Centruroides only need a moderately flat spot, I believe others have witnessed them mating on vertical bark and stones before.

BPruett

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I keep allot of these in all different set-ups. Rocks,bark, cork back, sticks, cactus, fake plants and they all seem to work fine for me.

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have successfully raised C. vittatus from 2nd instar to adult. I also successfully mated them last Dec. I didn't use any flat rocks. Instead I used driftwood placed diagonally to one side of the enclosure. The male was able to mate on the wider portion of the driftwood without any problems. Mating took only 10 mins.

Staley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You know Jobsites are really good places for finding cage decoratives. I got my slate from an old house being demolished . It was from a fireplace! had to clean it . but it was free.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
any flat stones should be fine. I used to steal alot of chipped granite pieces from when I worked at job sites. Its all garbage to them, where I'm some loon whose picking up random pieces of broken rock.

it doesnt HAVE to be slate. Hell most Centruroides only need a moderately flat spot, I believe others have witnessed them mating on vertical bark and stones before.

ive seen two mating on a twig before. that was an akward dance lol

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've seen some of our other members use slabs of cardboard.

Ed